Lieutenant Commander Data

Data's POV
"How are you handling being a parent? Surely taking in such a young child must be difficult even for you data" I began to notice Deanna's condescending tone when y/n came into conversation.
1 year ago on star-base four, a small landing party had come down to the planet, to help with negotiations that were currently being handled on the planet.
We had barely begun walking when a women who was dressed in rags almost tossed a child into my arms. She didn't say anything as she ran away the child who looked like it was almost 3 months old cried in my arms reaching out for its mother.
I took it back to the ship and took it to doctor crusher who said she believed Y/n was a healthy human girl.
I took her back to my quarters, saying hello to spot as we passed by.
I set her sleeping form down, as gently as possible on the couch about to call for a security officer to watch over her As I took on my shift for the day.
For the rest of the day different members of the crew gave me 'advice' on what to do with y/n. All of them suggesting I give her up except for doctor crusher saying
"Parenthood is a blessing and a curse, you will feel the greatest things you've ever felt and the worst"
I contemplated their advice, everyone was telling me to give her up, and each made a logical point.
I sat down next to her, the security officer had been gone for quite some time now. I leaned over her allowing her to play with my hand.
When she held my finger with her little hand, smiling and giggling as she wiggled my finger I felt something I have yet to define, but everyone's previous warning had been forgotten in that moment and I knew that I was never going to leave her.
From what the computer has told me, during her teenage years my protectiveness over her may be an issue but I have decided to deal with that problem when it arises.
For now Y/n was growing and thriving like a normal child should and would.
"I am having no trouble navigating parenthood, because I do not need sleep spending the early hours of the morning are easily spent looking after her needs"
The conversation quickly changed after that, I spent a few hours doing everything I needed to get done before I checked on y/n.
I was derailed when the ship lurched hard again, when the yelling started I ran to Y/n without checking what was happening.
I also got y/n a highly trained dog, just to be sure that if I could not get to y/n when she needed me that she could still be protected.
When the door opened I went straight to her room, ignoring the obvious state of our quarters, someone had already gone through our stuff.
I looked under the table to find her in a crate with the dog kneeling down next to her.
I picked her up and gently kissed her forehead, when a sudden loud, and close banging interrupted me I set her back down.
Pulling my phaser out I stood in the corner of the room ready to fire.
One of the aliens broke through the door, what is called Parental instinct kicked in. I didn't hesitate to fire on the creature, no one comes that close to y/n.
I kept Y/n close for the rest of the attack not daring to move out of eye sight from her.
When it was all over I decided to drape my arm over her and I didn't fall asleep just watched over as she slept.
After running a few tests and reviewing personal experiences I have come to the conclusion I have developed one of the most clear aspects of humanity
A family.