Pilot Part 3

"No sign of Ratko on the register. He must have used cash" Amy said from the front seat of the car that you, Jake, Holt and Amy were sat in.

Jake leant forward between the seats and said "Well, I, for one, am just pumped to be on a stakeout with you, Captain."

He turned towards Amy. "You know what my favourite thing about stakeouts is? Patrol guide says no dress code. So I'm just the zip-up hoodie and my three best friends."

"Does he always talk this much?" Holt asked you and Amy.

"I just tune it out. It's like a white noise machine" Amy said.

"First of all, that's racist. Secondly, Captain, Terry told me you caught the Disco Strangler" you said, leaning through the seats.

"That's incredible. I've read that case. With all due respect sir, why'd it take you so long to get your first command?" Jake said.

 "Because I'm gay" Holt said.

Jake chuckled. "Ah. Seriously?"

"I surprised you didn't know. I don't try to hide it" Holt said.

You pause for a minute, and think back to all the clues Holt has given you. "Damn!" you and Jake said at the same time.

"I am not a good detective" Jake said.

"Don't worry, Jakey, I didn't get it either" you said, patting his shoulder.

"When did you come out?" Amy asked.

"About 25 years ago. The NYPD was not ready for an openly gay detective. But then the old guard died out. Suddenly they couldn't wait to show off the fact that they had a highly ranking gay officer. I made captain. But they put me in a public affairs unit. I was a good soldier. I made good recruitment. But all I ever really wanted was my own command and now I finally got it. And I'm not going to screw it up" Holt said.

"Captain, I'm sorry. I - " Jake said apologetically. "I feel like a jackass."

"But, on the flipside, there's Ratko" you said.

"Humilty over. I'm amazing!" Jake said as you all scrambled to get out the car pulling on your bullet proof vests and grabbing your guns as you did so.

---------------------

You all went into the storage unit building and were faced with identical blue doors.

Your  thoughts were voiced by Jake who said "Fantastic. 3,000 identical blue doors."

"Looks like we all got door duty" Holt said.

"Ah, yeah. From before" Jake said remembering earlier that day. "Good one. You look great" he said to you. You looked confused, but smiled faintly as Jake looks away.

Holt and Jake moved forward and point their guns into the corridors either side. Holt said "Clear."

Amy followed Holt and you followed Jake, going down the dark corridor, guns ready.

You got to one particular door, and noticed that the latch is undone. You looked at Jake and nudged him slightly, using your gun to point at the latch. He nodded and readied his gun. Slowly, he moved to lift up the door to reveal Ratko, pointing a gun directly at his head.

"Ratko, great to see you" Jake said, as Ratko continues to point the gun at his head, moving backwards slowly.

"You can't stop me" Ratko said, moving further along the corridor. "I'm going."

"Actually, you're not going anywhere" Jake said.

"'Cause if you take a look to your left, you'll see detectives Boyle and Diaz" you said as Rosa and Charles appeared, guns raised, pointing towards Ratko.

"Right there is Detective Santiago and behind me is Detective l/n" Jake said as Amy and you raises your guns and Amy nods at Ratko.

"And right behind is Captain Holt. Point is ... The team has you surrounded" you said.

"OH, MY GOD, I JUST GOT THE TIE THING!" Jake said loudly. "CAPTAIN, I JUST FIGURED IT OUT."

"Maybe now's not the best time, Detective" Holt said, his gun still raised.

"It's a uniform! We're a team and the tie is part of that team's uniform!" Jake said.

"You ask Ratko what team?" Ratko asked, looking confused.

"No, Ratko, shut up" you said.

"It's important to you because you were kept of the team for so long. And now you're the coach, and you want us to all wear that same uniform. BOOM! Nailed it!" Jake declared.

"Yes, you did. Now just arrest Ratko" Holt said.

"All right, Ratko, down. Drop the weapon" Jake said, pointing his gun at Ratko's head. "Hands on your head. Here we go."

Before Ratko fully reaches the floor, he started running down Amy's corridor. "He's running!" Jake yelled.

Amy used her gun to hit Ratko around the head. He fell to the ground as Amy said "Got him!"

"Hands behind your back! Hands behind your back!" Rosa said as she ran forward with Charles to put handcuffs on Ratko.

"That's how we do it in the nine-nine , sir" you said, putting your gun away.

"Catch bad guys and look good doing it" Jake said.

Jake moved around uncomfortably, and Holt asked "What's wrong with you?"

"Never took off the Speedo. Big mistake" Jake said. "It is inside me."

"Great work, team" you said, as you and Jake left the corridor to get back to the precinct.