The Party Part 2

You and the rest of the squad were now stood talking to Holt and Kevin.

"Actually, Ray and I met over the phone" said Kevin.

"Oh, they've all heard the story" Holt said.

"No, we haven't and we need to" said Amy eagerly.

"Well, Ray was a source for an article I was writing for The New Yorker. I asked him a series of dry questions about police work and his answers had me in stitches" Kevin said.

"There's no one funnier than Ray Holt" an old man said.

"Amen" said Amy, pointing at the old man.

"There isn't?" you said, confused.

"We met for a drink that night and we've been together since" said Holt.

"So, Kevin, I hear you're a professor at Columbia?" asked Jake.

"That's right. I head the Classics department" said Kevin.

"Ah, interesting, classics. Zeppelin, Hendrix, Die Hard. Total classics head over here" said Jake. "I'm joking, obviously. I know what the classics are. The Odyssey and... the one you said when we got here, the wolf one."

"Kevin, why don't we go mingle and let the detectives settle in?" suggested Holt.

Charles walked over, a large red stain on his shirt.

"Boyle, what happened to your shirt?" asked Terry.

"I spilled a wonderful winter salsa" said Charles.

"Here, wear my shirt. I was gonna take it off anyway" said Hitchcock, beginning to take off his tie.

"Hitchcock, no!" Terry said. "Boyle, take my sweater."

Charles put on Terry's sweater. "Fits really well. We have similar physiques."

"We've been here all of four minutes, and you guys have already forgotten everything I said! Party huddle, stat!" said Terry, walking off to a corner.

In the corner, you all made a circle.

"Okay, gang, we need a new strategy" said Terry.

"Totally. What is going on out there?" asked Jake. "We can't tell cop stories, Kevin doesn't find me charming and a native English speaker referred to Captain Holt as 'hilarious.' I am flummoxed. That's a word I learned for this party and I am it!"

"Well, I'm doing fine" Amy said.

"Really? 'Raymond, those slacks are a knockout'" you said, imitating Amy's voice.

"Do you think he heard that?" Amy asked nervously.

"Only 'cause you yelled it" Jake said.

"Shut up. From now on, we play to our strengths. Charles, you know everything about food. That's all you talk about" said Terry.

"I mean, I don't think anyone will ever know everything about food. It's an evolving discipline" said Charles.

"That's great stuff. It's so boring. Don't waste it. Amy, you studied art history. That's interesting. Scully, opera. Hitchcock, nothing. Talk about nothing. Rosa, stick with Gina. Make sure she doesn't say anything insane or steal anything" instructed Terry.

Gina held up a large, purple bag. "Too late. Don't worry, it's just, like, hats and scarves and stuff."

"She will put those back. I will handle the chitchat" said Rosa.