The Chopper Part 1

"Hey, Gina, you got that file I needed Captain Holt to sign?" asked Jake.

"Uh-huh" said Gina, handing Jake the file, not looking up from her phone.

Jake took the file, and then waved his hand across Gina's face. She still did not look up. "Mm."

-------------

Everyone placed money into the middle of the table quickly.

"Gina hasn't taken her eyes off her phone in two hours. First person to make her look up wins the pot" said Jake.

"I'm in. A bet which improves someone's manners? Double score" Amy said.

"Sorry, guys. I got this in the bag" Charles said. "I used to have to distract her from her phone all the time we were smooshin' booties."

"We didn't need to be reminded of that" you said, groaning.

-----------------

"Hey, girl" said Charles, walking over to Gina's desk.

She threw a stapler at him.

Charles grunted. "Catch you later."

----------------------

Jake placed a speaker on Gina's desk. "Mid-morning dance party."

Disco music played. Gina moved her arms a bit, but didn't look up from her phone.

"She's dancing even better than normal" said Jake.

-----------------------

"Oh, my God, did you hear that George W. Bush died?" asked Amy.

"Who dat?" asked Gina, not looking up.

----------------

Rosa blew an air horn into Gina's ear, making the guy nearest to her jump and Scully spill his soup everywhere. "Ooh."

Gina, however, still looked at her phone and didn't even flinch.

-----------------------

"Hey, Gina. Beyonce's in the bullpen right now" you said.

"Not right now, later" said Gina, staring at her phone.

"But she ask to meet you" you said.

"Later" Gina said.

-----------------------

"Gina may never look at another real human being again. She's unbeatable" said Jake.

"Oh, I don't know about that" said Terry, looking up from sending a text to Gina.

Gina stood up and looked over. "Terrence Jeffords, are you kidding me?"

"Changed my relationship status to 'it's complicated.' Pony up, y'all. Whoo!" said Terry proudly. His phone dinged. "It's my wife. Hey, baby. No! No, no, no. It was a mistake. My thumb slipped and I - I have to go home."

Jake was stood at the front of the briefing room

Jake was stood at the front of the briefing room. "Ladies and gentlemen, today is the greatest day of my life. Guess who just got murdered! That's right - it's Carl Mather." He gasped dramatically. "What? I'm the only one gasping? Guys, Carl Mather? Did twenty five years in Attica - "

Charles gasped dramatically. "Sorry. Just point at me when you want me to gasp."

"Will do" said Jake. "Mather is part of the Fulton Street Four."

"Oh! They stole twenty one million dollars from an armored car depot. Feds caught them but they never found the money" said Amy enthusiastically.

"Until now" Jake said.

"You found twenty one million dollars?" you asked.

"Oh, God no. Not yet. I can see how that would be confusing though. I'm sorry. But I'm going to. Over the past six months, all four of these guys have been released, and now one of them shows up dead. Someone's after that money, and they're willing to kill for it" said Jake. He pointed at Charles who gasped.

"You're getting ahead of yourself. You don't know that Mather's death is connected to the money yet. Don't turn this into something bigger than it is, not with Madeline Wuntch watching us at all times" Holt said.

Holt pointed over his head, where Wuntch's portrait was on the wall.

"Ew" you said.

"When'd they put that in?" asked Jake.

"Right after Wuntch got promoted. She had it installed at that height so she'd, I quote 'Always be looking down at me', unquote" Holt said. "Treat this like a regular case."

"Sir, with all due respect, this is an epic case. It's the reason I became a cop. I mean, hunting down a murderer, recovering millions in stolen money, rappelling out of a chopper with a knife between my teeth" said Jake.

"Why would you jump out of a helicopter with a knife in your mouth?" Holt asked.

"It's called a chopper, and the knife is in my mouth because both of my hands are holding giant machine guns. And that's how it's going down" Jake answered.

----------------------

"Next, let's get statements from the neighbors" said Jake, later that day at the crime scene. Holt walked in. "Ah, hello, Captain. Quick update, another one of the Fulton Four was murdered here this morning."

"Huh, I'm surprised you're not celebrating inappropriately" said Holt.

"This is a crime scene and I'm a professional" Jake said.

"You did it before I showed up?" guessed Holt.

"Yeah, that is what happened" you said.

"So, two of these guys murdered in the past two days? It has to be tied to the missing money. Admit I was right" said Jake.

"Circumstances do suggest a connection" Holt said.

"Admit it with more gusto" Jake said.

"You were right" Holt said.

"Yes! Did you get it, Boyle?" asked Jake.

"Oh, the camera was in selfie mode, but I look super proud of you" said Charles.

"Okay" said Jake.

"Unfortunately, because this case has turned out to be important, that she-skunk Madeline Wuntch has pointed her hindquarters right at it. She wants to see us in her office, no doubt to give the case to Major Crimes" Holt said.

"No, no, no. We can't let that happen" Jake said.

"Sir, we have to do something" you said.

"Fine" said Charles. "I'll seduce her. I'll just put my bike shorts on and give her a glimpse of the quad cities."

"No. No. That's not what I meant. I mean, we have to fight her" you said.

"We're not going to fight her. She's the devil. And you don't dance with the devil, because you get burned. Also, because in Madeline's case, she has no rhythm and her hands are like little rat claws. If she wants the case, it's hers" said Holt.

"For the record, you're turning this murder scene into a real bummer-scape" said Jake as Holt left the room. "Tell me you got that zinger."

"Oh, the camera was in selfie mode again, but I was laughing real hard" said Charles.