48 Hours Part 1

Jake knocked on the door to Holt's office with you behind him and said "Hey, Cap'n, got a second?"

"It's '"Captain'" Holt corrected.

"What did I say?" asked Jake.

"'Cap'n', like Cap'n Crunch" you said.

"All right, but to be fair, Cap'n Crunch was a war hero and the primary male role model in my house growing up, so - " said Jake. "Anyways, Cap-tain, you know that jewellery store robbery down by Grand Army Plaza?"

  "Mm-hmm" Holt said.

"I know who did it. Dustin Whitman. I put him in Rikers two years ago. He just got out, and the crime scene matches his M.O. perfectly" said Jake.

"The crime techs aren't done yet, but Jake is 100% sure it's Whitman" you said.

"Well, let's see what kinds of physical evidence turns up, and then we can talk arrest" said Holt.

"Actually, hilarious story" Jake said.

A few moments later, you, Holt and Jake were stood outside Holt's office.

"So that, is Dustin Whitman" you said as Whitman was put into the holding cell.

"Jake already arrested him? With insufficient evidence?" asked Holt.

"By law, that means we have 48 hours to find that evidence, or we have to let him go" you told Jake.

"You just started the clock" said Holt as he walked back into his office, leaving you and Jake looking at Whitman in the holding cell.

------------------

"What's up with this emergency meeting?" Rosa asked, sitting down next to you in the briefing room just as Amy walked in wearing a bright pink dress.

"Whoa, Detective Santiago" Holt said.

"Big date tonight. How do I look?" Amy asked you.

Jake overheard Amy's question. "Well, I think you look -" A donkey's braying came out of Jake's phone, making you and Amy glare at him. "Sorry, that was supposed to be a catcall. I don't know how this works."

"Hey, is this why you were getting makeup tips from the prostitute in the holding cell?" Rosa asked Amy, her arm resting on her helmet.

"Just wanted to know how she got such smoky eyes. Turns out it was an STD rash" said Amy.

"Detective Peralta has made a collar in the jewellery store heist" said Holt, walking into the briefing room.

"Way to go, Jakey" Charles exclaimed.

"Ah, that's okay" Jake muttered under his breath so that only you could hear him.

"No. He didn't get sufficient evidence to make it stick, so we have the next 48 hours to fix his mistake" said Holt from the podium.

Everyone in the briefing room groaned. "Damn it, Jake" Amy complained. "What evidence did you have when you arrested this guy?"

"Some pretty ironclad stuff" Jake said nervously.

"If by ironclad, you mean that Whitman called you 'Joke Peralta' and then you arrested him, then sure" you said.

"If we don't find something conclusive, it jeopardizes the case and opens the department up to a lawsuit. So cancel your plans. We're here till this is over" announced Holt.

More groaning came from everyone.

"I know everyone's mad at Peralta for ruining their weekend" Holt said.