1 -"CALM"

CHAPTER ONE

"calm"

"Maybe our fifth year we can finally get you to shut up, Sirius," teased James Potter as he strutted down the narrow hallways of the Hogwarts Express.

Many girls swooned as he walked by, or held giggles behind their hands.

James's smirk grew larger.

In front of him, a boy with auburn hair that was growing taller by the second from the friction of the close walls tried to hide a smile. Over the summer, he had greatly missed the banter of his faithful friends.

The Marauder's usual compartment was sandwiched between the Slytherin and prefect areas, perfectly placed for maximum pranking potential.

Over the years, these rides had become the sacred time to scheme for the year. Anyone found there would be promptly removed. Ever since they discovered why their friend disappeared every month, James Potter, Sirius Black, and Peter Pettigrew had been making a tireless effort to become Animagi to join Remus more safely during the full moon. 

This year, they were all confident of success.

They passed train cars full of reunited friends catching up for the summer, and others already throwing hexes. This ride would be sure to be a mixture for them, depending on if they ran into Snape or not. Remus was so lost in his thought and relief that they were on track to making these full moons less painful that he almost walked right past their compartment.

He stopped abruptly, making James tumble behind him and ruining the perfect flirt session he had just been having with a blonde fourth year Ravenclaw.

"Moony, I swear you find a way to miss it every year."

"Maybe I should lead."

"And make us all end up with McGonagall?"

"Oh, we all know she needs company."

Sirius raised a suggestive brow, only able to hold the expression for a few moments before giving into giggling.

Laughter danced among the three of them, but only three. Sirius was the first to notice his silent friend, the suspicious lack of scolding and disapproval for talking out a professor in such a way from Lupin. Black followed his friend's gaze, smile falling limp. 

James quickly picked up on Sirius's sudden halt of laughter and elbowed Peter to as well, an eerie silence filled the warmly lit atmosphere between them.

Remus's green eyes had locked on the small form splayed out in their compartment with alarm.

A girl with tawny colored skin was dead asleep in the corner to the left of the window. Her legs were askew, one elongated on the seat, another with her black booted foot dangling less than a centimeter off the floor. One arm was over her stomach, the other limply wrapped around her shoulder. Her neck was tilted back, almost so far that her curly, night black hair barely restrained by a dark green ribbon reached all the way to the blue corduroy seat.