20 - "REMINDERS"

CHAPTER TWENTY

"reminders"

Remus Lupin was having an unusual nightmare. 

All of his friends experienced nightmares as well, the same routine ones that they had shared with one another after being haunted by them in their dorms and many nighttime gatherings either on full moons or during the process of becoming Animagi. 

James dreamed about watching his friends get hurt in front of him and not being able to do anything about it. Sirius dreamed about turning to the Dark Arts and becoming a Death Eater.

Peter dreamed about being abandoned by his friends.

Hollis dreamed about turning into who her parents wanted her to be. Remus himself dreamed about hurting his friends while in werewolf form. All of their fears were basic and unlikely, their simplicity making them feel preventable. 

But tonight was different.

The dream had started as usual, with James, Peter, Sirius, and him outside on the Hogwarts grounds underneath the invisibility cloak, headed towards the Whomping Willow. The air was cold, but being with his friends kept Remus warm.

They went to the Shrieking Shack.

This time, Remus didn't turn into a werewolf.

Instead, the battered interior of the house melted away and he found himself standing in a black void with nothing there besides his suddenly small, vulnerable feeling form. He tried to go back to the Shack to be with his friends, but there was only endless darkness no matter how far he ran in any direction.

A singular, quiet sob came from all directions around him filling the void with echoes of reverberating pain. It was shakey and scared and raw, like the source had been crying for hours. A desperate, hurt whisper came right after, a single word shaking through the silence.

"Remus."

"Remus! Wake up, it's almost three in the afternoon!" scolded Hope, shaking her son's shoulders. "You're going to mess up your sleep schedule even more awfully than it already is if you keep this up."

Remus woke up with a start, the bright sunlight hitting his eyes through the plaid curtains. He winced slightly. 

"Are you ok, my dear?" Hope asked after a few seconds of his uncharacteristic silence where there should be protests, closely examining her son.

Instead of looking well rested after sleeping away the whole morning, he looked like he had gotten almost no rest and been told in his dream that someone had died. 

Remus shook his head, making his already messy auburn hair stand up even more. He adjusted his handmade quilt over his torso while he was sitting up, stalling slightly. Remus was debating what exactly to tell his mother about Hollis. She was a muggle, it would be hard for her to completely understand the Rosier reputation.