47 - "NYX"

CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN

"nyx"

Across the entire school, professors included, the Marauders had a reputation. They were known for being intelligent pranksters who would do to great lengths to make others laugh, the reason Gryffindor hadn't even come close to winning the House Cup for the past four years. However, they certainly did not have the reputation of not playing a single prank on even the foulest of Slytherins for almost two weeks. To even more surprise of the fifth years and teachers, they were spending every free moment in the library with a Slytherin girl.

There was a corner in the southernmost side of the library that had become known as the Marauder's Corner. Students knew not to venture into it for risk of being snapped at by the five fifth years who were spending practically every moment of free time huddled over dozens of scrolls, books, and loose pieces of parchment that looked suspiciously like they had been torn out of Flitwick's private collection of notes. 

Occasionally, shouts and loud bangs of wands going off could be heard from this corner, and at this point, everyone, even Madam Pince, had just learned to not question it. All five of them looked sleep-deprived but ambitious, a combination that was making all of the school very, very nervous about what they were planning.

Footsteps came from around the corner as Peter carried a wicker basket of biscuits and glass jug of pumpkin juice in his arms that he had just raided from the kitchen.

Hollis and Sirius both looked up from the passage in Flitwick's handwriting that they were reading at the sound of Peter's approach with much needed food. As he set down the basket on top of a purple book with a tattered cloth cover, James immediately bit into a biscuit after grabbing it in less than a second.

"Thanks," said Sirius gratefully, his mouth half full of food. Mia would kill me, he thought, reminding himself of how his mum would always get mad at him for talking through his brownies.

Peter eagerly sat down on top of the table with his feet resting on the seat of an unoccupied wooden chair.

"So what are all of you working on?" he asked, giddy to see the progress his friends had made. Hollis finished a large gulp of pumpkin juice before answering.

Pointing to the thick book Remus was reading, Hollis started talking.

"Remus is reading Hogwarts: A History to make sure that there aren't any more secret passageways that we don't know about that were already recorded," Hollis explained, and Remus looked up and smiled.

"James just got back from walking around the whole library and marking where all the bookshelves are, so we have that section of the Map recorded," she said, and James took a big gulp of water in response.