28 - "YOU ARE NOT ALONE"

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

"you are not alone"

Hollis sat on her twin bed in the Slytherin dorms just staring at the bar of chocolate resting in her hands. It was only a few inches long, around half the size of her wand with a shiny, crinkled navy blue wrapper with stars littered all over it to mimic the night sky. In cream colored, wide typewriter font, it read Honeyduke's Best Chocolate. She could smell it from a foot away, the sweet aroma filling her senses.

For some reason, Hollis hadn't brought herself to open it yet. She was almost positive that Remus had slipped it in her black leather bag after that confusing boggart lesson.

His boggart, that damn dittany.

It didn't make any sense to her. It obviously had to symbolize something, she thought, lying down on top of the dark green velvet comforter. He wasn't scared of some bottle. It probably just means that he's scared of one of us being hurt badly. 

A tiny voice came from the back of her head. Then why wasn't it something more general, like a bloody hospital wing pillow? That was what Marlene's had turned into, so his would have been that as well if it meant everyone. Why was exactly what you use of him every full moon and what he saw you steal?

Hollis slammed down the chocolate bar on her black wood bedside table with an unintentional amount of force, making the glass of pumpkin juice she had snuck up from the Great Hall next to her topple over, crashing onto the floor with a shattering sound.

Hollis cursed and swung her legs over the bed. She bent down and began to scoop up the glass with her fingers, and after a few minutes, all of it was away. Right as she was standing back up, however, an unusually shaped, small object underneath her bed caught her eye. Curious, she bent over to grab the rusted item from under the dusty bed.

It was a ring.

It was old and silver, ornate carvings around the edges. The metal was still smooth against Hollis's fingertips, except for the carvings of dragons around the edges. It was like the Rosier family crest was following her. Hollis closely examined the inside where something appeared to be carved into the interior of the band. Upon closer inspection, she realized it was a name.

Jeanne Rosier.

Jeanne was Hollis's late grandmother on her mother's side. She had died when Hollis was only nine years old, but the few memories little Hollis had of her were far from fond.

The Rosier influence was still on her trail, even at Hogwarts. That ring must have been sitting there for decades, unnoticed by even the house elves.

Was this her bed? Hollis wondered, moving away from the four postered bed with a sudden urge to scream. 

You will obey us, Appoline. The pureblood line is more important than you believe. Do you understand?