24 - "FOUR MORE DAYS"

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

"four more days"

tw - implications of abuse

Remus, Sirius, and James were sitting around the fireplace in James's messy room in Potter Manor. In the five minutes they had been there, Sirius had spilled hot chocolate all over Remus, Mrs. Potter had to treat his 2nd degree burn, and James had shattered his handpainted ceramic mug on the floor when he dropped it from laughter.

"Goddammit James, I just stepped on a piece of that cup!" Remus groaned, pulling a tiny pink shard out of his wool sock.

James looked only a little guilty as he spoke. "Missed you too, Remus," he chuckled, taking a large sip of the warm, rich drink.

Remus couldn't stay mad at his best friends for long. He sat down on James's cushy bed, stirring his fluffy marshmallows around to cool them off with a spoon.

"Full moons are harder without everyone with me," he sighed, blowing air onto his cocoa to try and cool it down. "More lonely."

Sirius and James exchanged a glance.

"We're no good at healing, mate," Sirius apologized with a slight frown. "How is Hollis anyway? She hasn't been replying to any conversations on the bracelets."

Remus had noticed this too.

"She's probably just busy," James assured the two boys, but he sounded like he was trying to convince himself as well.

Sirius nodded along with James, but Remus stayed silent.

"I had a dream about her," he revealed, finally taking a sip out of his light yellow and red striped mug.

James's eyebrows shot up, and Sirius's mouth broke into a mischievous grin.

"Like a dream dream?"  Sirius asked, laughing slightly.

Remus turned red as he realized what James and Sirius thought he meant.

"No, Merlin, no," Remus quickly amended, scratching the back of his head and shaking it at the same time.

James was still disbelieving.

"Well, I'm going to assume that you're lying unless you spit out what it really was," he told an extremely uncomfortable Remus, scooting a little closer to him across the woven rug.

Sirius butted in before Lupin could say anything, enjoying making his friend uncomfortable.

"There's nothing to be ashamed about, mate," he said in a serious, professor like tone. "I mean, I have had that kind of dream about-"

"Oh my God, Sirius, shut up!" Remus shouted, slapping his hand over Sirius's sly smile. "I don't even want to know."

"Yea, well, I don't know, either," Black grumbled. "Never seen her before in my life. Some American chick. She was hot, though."

"How the hell do you have a dream like that about someone that you literally don't even know?" Remus asked, looking at Sirius in both amusement and disgust. "Are you that lonely?"

Black glared, and James giggled. 

"Anyways, it was a normal dream until I heard her out of nowhere," Remus explained, taking a long sip of cocoa. "And she didn't say anything at first, it was just her crying. Not a word, just sobs."

Sirius leaned forward, resting his forearms on his thighs and setting down his mug on James's wooden desk with a clink. James scratched the back of his head, narrowing his eyes as he noticed something off about his friend's dream.

"But we've never seen her cry like that before. How is that even possible?" he asked skeptically. "You're sure it was her?"

"No, James," Sirius said dryly. "Moony was having dreams about random girls crying."

"Yea, well you've had dreams about doing god knows what with random girls," James snapped back before turning slowly to Remus with an apologetic expression. "Continue. Please."

"It was awful, I felt completely helpless," Remus told them, his voice dropping to a whisper. He was concentrating intensely on sinking a marshmallow, not looking at either of them. "And right before I woke up, she said my name."

Sirius coughed in slight surprise.

"Just your name, not any of ours? Or Lily and Marlene's?"

Remus nodded again, finally looking up at them.

"She's always been normal around us when it comes to these things, brave, I guess, but she sounded so scared. I think she's in trouble," Remus said, standing up and pacing around James's bed. "I don't know."

"Let's just ask her, then," said James, holding his brown leather band to his mouth.

"Wait," said Remus with a hesitant tone, reaching his hand out and pulling down James's arm. He made eye contact with Sirius and James to make sure he had their full attention. "Do you think she would even tell us if something was wrong?"

James sat down heavily against the wall beside Sirius. All three boys had pits forming in their stomachs.

Just four more days, thought Remus, dragging his hand down his face. Four more days and then she's back with us at Hogwarts.

"We can at least try."

.。*゚+.*.。   ゚+..。*゚+

The window seat compartment hadn't been shut.

Jars upon jars had been haphazardly opened, their corks scattered across the floor after small, fumbling tremors of her hands had sent them rolling across the marble. Blood dotted bandages had been tossed into a pile, their vibrant red crusting into a deep black and pristinely white heap. Tiny leaves and wings had been spilled across the ground with rushed movements, adding to the mess of healing magic scattered across Hollis's bedroom floor.

She had passed out at approximately four in the morning the day after the ball, and hadn't been able to complete her daily healing before her mother was the one to visit her. Vindia didn't have the same vulgar method as her husband to discipline their daughter, but Hollis was by no means unharmed. 

Her face was bruised, ebony hair tattered with knots.

And she was completely unaware of her desperately flaring bracelet, rapidly heating and cooling against her soft, cold skin.

1k words