18 - "LOLCHANT FOREST"

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

"lolchant forest"

"lolchant forest"

"So, who was that pretty girl you two boys were talking to?" Euphemia Potter asked her sons, a warm smile on her wide face.

They were sitting down in Potter Manor's kitchen, all four of them around the wooden table. Sirius had already consumed four brownies, and James was on his third. No matter how amazing Hogwarts food was, something about Mrs. Potter's brownies was just different.

James laughed slightly, and Sirius grinned.

"Oh, that's Hollis," James explained, setting down his plate on the warm counter with a slight clink.

"James, no one wants to see the food in your mouth," Fleamont scolded his son, although there was a slight smile on his wrinkled skin.

"Sorry, dad," James apologized, finishing chewing before he started his next sentence. "She sat in our compartment on the way to school, and since then she's been," he faltered, not knowing how to describe Hollis any further.

Sirius picked up from here.

"She's really good at pranks and really cool in general, so, naturally, her being friends with Mar and Lily, we've absorbed her into our group a bit," Sirius explained, wiping a few chocolatey crumbs away from the corner of his mouth with his sleeve.

He very gracefully avoided that the whole reason they had bonded was that their friend was a werewolf and they were becoming illegal Animagi.

"More than a bit," James added as his mother grabbed a cloth out of a white painted wooden drawer. "People started calling her 'the snake Marauder' because of how much we all hang around each other. And surprisingly, I don't mind. She's helped us- she's been- she's- she's great. We didn't know what we were missing before."

Mrs. Potter shook her head at Sirius's manners and handed him the dishtowel with little pansies embroidered on it to wipe his mouth.

It was hard to believe the household he was raised in sometimes with the way he acted at the table. Then again, Euphemia supposed that it was a relief from the way he had been brought up, a way to remind himself that he was safe now.

"Sorry, Mia."

"Why don't you invite her over with Remus on the twenty seventh, then?" she offered, taking the towel from Sirius after he had started to change its color.

James and Sirius both went silent. For a moment, the only thing that could be heard in the kitchen was the soft scrub of metal against a brush as Fleamont washed the dishes.

"It's a bit complicated, mum," James started, moving his hands as he hopped down from the counter. "Hollis's family is a bit controlling, she isn't really supposed to be friends with any Gryffindors. I don't blame her, though. Those Slytherins her parents wanted her to hang around with are.."