42 - "SHE'S HOT WHEN SHE'S CLEVER"

CHAPTER FORTY-TWO

"she's hot when she's clever"

Something had changed. It was a tiny amount of weight added to one side of the scales, one that had changed the balance. This shift had taken months, six whole months to be precise. Half a year of laughing, crying, shouting, and helping.

But it had all been worth it, because Hollis finally trusted Remus.

There wasn't some huge event or conversation to go along with this realization, just a new, calming feeling that had been missing from Hollis's mind.

Maybe it was something about the way he always smelled like chocolate and laundry detergent, or because he was always so warm in both his words and his touch. Maybe because of the way he listened with both his ears and his eyes, deciphering every detail of whoever was talking to him.

Whatever it was, it had finally worked.

So when Hollis sat down at the previously empty desk in the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, Remus watched with a small smile instead of a frown, knowing that now, they could take a deep breath in around one another.

"How long does it take to start hallucinating from sleep deprivation?" moaned Marlene as she slumped down at the wooden desk next to Sirius and behind Hollis and rubbed her eyes.

Along with the new trust for Remus, Rosier had found it in her heart to forgive Marlene. Granted, it had taken several sheets of cookies stolen from the kitchens and several profuse apologies, but Mckinnon had gotten back her friend's grace. Much of it was owed to Remus's many discussions with Rosier about the value of letting someone learn from their mistake instead of shaming them, but she would never admit that.

"Seventy two hours," Hollis and Remus answered at the same time.

James raised an eyebrow as he slung his bag down at the seat to the right of Hollis.

"It is highly concerning how you both know that," James yawned, already resting his head on the desk.

As their end of the year examinations grew closer, it was common to see fifth years downing huge mugs of coffee like water as they staggered, sleep deprived, through the hallways. A bunch of Hufflepuffs had started to brew and give out an Alertness Drought daily helped this problem slightly before Slughorn caught them stealing ingredients. At any given ungodly hour of the night, Madame Pince could find these exhausted students passed out over books, until more fifth year students were in the library to sleep than in their dormitories.

Surprisingly, due to the stress of O.W.Ls, the four houses began to intertwine. All of them, that is, besides Slytherin (with the exception of Hollis.) Ravenclaws, who usually looked down on Gryffindors for their bullheadedness, were now mixed in at their study tables. The Hufflepuffs had thrown away any stereotype of them being weak by risking late night kitchen raids to supply their fellow studies with snacks.