91 - "PROTECT THE TUNNEL"

CHAPTER NINETY-ONE

"protect the tunnel"

i was crying writing this

Only nine people had ever been inside the tunnel underneath the Whomping Willow leading to the Shrieking Shack.

At first, a small eleven-year-old Remus Lupin had stumbled into the tunnel every month, all alone. It was the only way he had been permitted to go to Hogwarts; if he went into the Shack every month without a single person to help him through his painful transformations.

And then, a year later, three other twelve-year-olds had discovered their best friend's secret. Even though little Lupin had tried to stop them from coming with him, the four were inseparable and wouldn't take no for an answer.

Three years later, a girl just as scarred as Lupin stumbled into their lives with a smear of blood on James's white shirt in the Marauder's compartment on their way to their fifth year of Hogwarts. After many months together, the girl became closer to the boys than anyone else she had ever known. And so, she was the fifth person to enter the hidden tunnel.

Although it had taken five years for five people to enter this secret passage to the Shrieking Shack, it had only taken a few hours for four new Slytherins to discover and use its existence for better or for worse.

Hollis and Regulus were slumped against one another against the carved out bit of earth, both physically and mentally exhausted.

They had been sitting there for what felt like hours, waiting and wondering if the threat they had anticipated was ever going to come. Hollis could hear Remus above her, nervously looking at Regulus with every ghoulish sound that she hoped he wouldn't realize was a werewolf. Her eyes moved from his lashes to his wristwatch, where it showed that exactly three hours had passed.

Three hours, she thought. What the hell is taking them so long? Probably trying to find a way to get under the tree, right? Maybe they went to the library. They're not stupid, and they can see who's still in there. They know they still have a chance.

"D'you reckon they'll try and keep the Map?" Regulus asked, frowning slightly at the thought.

She let out a dry, humorless laugh.

"They might try, but no way in hell that they'll actually pull that off," Hollis said, resting her head on his shoulder. "I doubt any of us will let it out of our sight after this."

Even if she was trying to stay as calm as possible, she couldn't keep her thoughts off of Remus, not being able to be there, not being able to help.

He did this for years without you, he'll be fine, she told herself over and over. Besides, it would be much worse if Theodore, Lucius, and Roldolphus came in rather than one person missing from up there. I mean, everything's going to be..