59 - "I'M NOT GOING TO HEX YOU, NOTT"

CHAPTER FIFTY-NINE

"i'm not going to hex you, nott"

If James and Remus had acted so cruelly any other hour of the year, Hollis would be angry for days at their actions. Luckily for them, she had no desire to leave Hogwarts on a sour note. Some things were more important than grudges, no matter how disturbing the offense. After nearly an hour of Lily and Hollis lecturing a highly guilty James and Remus, the two girls had finally forgiven them once they determined that the boys were truly sorry for what they had done to Severus and how they had acted.

Hollis had noticed a tiny change in the way Lily talked to James.

Ever since Snape had called Lily a mudblood during dinner, her usual hostility towards James had reduced by several notches, a tiny bit of softness in her demeanor towards the arrogant boy that was typically reserved for Snape.

The morning of their departure from Hogwarts and to their various manors, cottages apartments, and other dwellings, Hollis sat between Marlene and Remus at the Gryffindor table.

On the exterior, the normal, happy mood was wholly present among the Marauders, Lily, and Marlene. Sliding a bit deeper beneath the surface, though, the six Gryffindors had the image of Hollis's cut back that night in the hospital wing stamped in the back of the minds and worry in their hearts.

"Hopefully my parents don't try to take us camping again," said Marlene with a slight shudder. "My brothers almost got us all lost in the woods. It was dreadful."

"If you think that's bad, listen to this story about when my parents, Sirius, and I went camping on the last day of summer." Sirius shook his head, holding his face in his hands with his elbows propped up on the table.

"Please, Prongs, no," he groaned, but James was already set on telling the obviously embarrassing story.

A loud crash from behind the Gryffindor table cut off James right as he was about to start talking. Hollis whipped her head around to see Regulus and Theodore both standing up at the very end of the Slytherin table. There was a toppled over glass with an orange puddle washed across the table, which must have been where the crash came from. The Slytherin's expressions were both highly irritated, and no one seemed brave enough to step between the two.

Black's fist was clenching. 

.。*゚+.*.。 a few minutes earlier ゚+..。*゚+

Regulus sat next to Theodore and across from Roldolphus and Lucius the Slytherin table. Many of them were talking about the incident between Lily, James, Hollis, Remus, and Severus that had occurred yesterday. Word of the accidental cut, surprising sides taken, and berating lecture given by Lily and Hollis that James and Remus went through afterward had spread through the school like wildfire, finishing off their fifth year with a bang.

Theodore's food was untouched from next to Regulus, and there was a sour expression on his face as Remus wrapped an arm around Hollis from the table in front of him.

"I honestly can't wait another second to get back home," he complained loudly, dramatically setting down his unused silver fork with a clatter of metal against wood. "The food here was been murdering my mouth."

None of them replied, all a bit exhausted from his complaining after their long week of O.W.L.s and N.E.W.Ts. Nott raised an eyebrow; his mates were normally quick to reply back with a complaint or an insult to a Gryffindor, particularly the Marauders.

"That little duel was honestly one of the best things I've seen in a while," Theodore continued to talk, and this time the other three Slytherin boys looked up. "Seeing the perfect couple get in an argument."

Lucius smirked, and Roldolphus nodded in agreement. Regulus was silent, just carefully listening.

"I get a little bit sick every time I see them together," Lestrange said sourly, pointing his spoon in agreement at Theodore. "Hollis should have never left us for them."

"If I were Severus, I think I would have missed," Lucius put the word missing in quotation marks with his free hand, "Potter on purpose and hit her."

Regulus ground his teeth together. He knew the moment he opened his mouth it would be to defend Hollis, which none of these haughty boys would take well to.

"Did you see her face when that spell hit her in the cheek?" laughed Roldolphus, and Theodore joined in. "Nevermind that, did you see Lupin's? That Gryffindor was ready to let Potter do whatever he wanted to Snape without saying shit."

Three of the four boys started to laugh again. This time, Theodore noticed Regulus's annoyed silence.

"Something wrong, Black?" asked Theodore, twisting his torso towards Regulus.

There was a moment of silence and then a loud clink as Black stabbed his fork against the porcelain plate. When he looked up at Nott, his features were tight with anger.

"Just don't be such a douchebag about Hollis because you're secretly jealous of Lupin, Nott," Regulus spat directly to Theodore without a waiver in his voice.

Lucius let out a low whistle at his accusation. It bothered Nott because he knew it was true.

"I would never be jealous of any git that was dating that prideful hoe," coldly stated Theodore, his eyes narrowed.

Every single thought in Regulus's head was telling him not to retaliate. He almost didn't, but then he remembered the ball on Christmas day, how shaken and furious Hollis had been at everyone there. How angry she had been at Theodore for treating her like a doll, how scared.

And so, Regulus stood up quickly, knocking over a glass of pumpkin juice with his elbow as he did so with a loud crash that made the Marauders look to him and Theodore curiously.

"Don't you ever," spat Regulus pulling out his wand, "talk about her like that again."

One row down, the six Gryffindors looked to the Slytherin girl at their table that Regulus was obviously defending.

Sirius was surprised that he had found something to agree on with Regulus, but others were mostly wary. One fight in two days was enough for them. 

A fight, Remus thought. Since when are Regulus and Hollis close enough to where he's going to get in a fight for her? When did that happen? He thought of their names so close together on the Map, Hollis's obvious lie flashing across their bracelets. Shit, Rosier.

"What're you gonna do, hex me?"Theodore smirked, looking down at Regulus's wand with amusement.

Smiling sourly, Regulus shook his head and slid his wand back into his pocket.

"No, I'm not going to hex you, Nott."

It was the second time Theodore had been punched in the face over Hollis.

Even as Regulus boarded the Hogwarts Express a few hours later, he could not find the usual shred of regret anywhere in his mind.

1.2k words