85 - "HIM"

CHAPTER EIGHTY-FIVE

song of the chapter - "i want to" by rosenfeld

"him"

Hollis slipped out of the door after the meeting so quickly that she just seemed like a black and pine-green blur of thick fabric to the few people that saw her exit. Jogging down the torchlit corridors, her footsteps didn't make a sound even during this time of night when the hallways were almost completely deserted. She was making a beeline to the Slytherin common room as quickly as she could, leaving the Map with Remus in a rush. Regulus had told Hollis that he would wait for her in the common room until whenever their meeting was over, and she didn't want to keep him awake any longer than he already was.

She had promised him earlier that day that she would give him every detail about Dumbledore's reaction, and whether their headmaster had agreed to their bold plan against the Death Eaters, their parents, or not.

"Salazar," she muttered, gripping the serpent carved silver handle as the door allowed entry with the password.

Sure enough, when Hollis stepped into the emerald tinted, underground room, Regulus was waiting on the couch for her in sweatpants and a Slytherin sweatshirt. Looking up from his book, A Hundred and One Ways to Track a Person Using Magic: The Guide, at her presence, Regulus felt a small bolt of anxiety shoot through him at whatever news, good or bad, Hollis would bring with her as she settled down in the corner of the black leather couch across from him.

"Well?" he asked, setting down the dark yellow cloth-covered book on the dark oak coffee table engraved with patterns of snakes slithering across the stone on its wooden legs and sides next to him.

Taking a glance around the empty common room just to double check that no prying eyes or ears were here with them, Hollis nodded firmly at Regulus. The Slytherin felt relief course through him that it had gone well with Dumbledore, some color returning to his face that was previously mildly paler than usual with nerves.

"What exactly happened, then?" Regulus prompted, resting his forearms on his thighs to give Hollis his full attention.

Taking a deep breath in and blowing it out slowly to gather her thoughts, Hollis looked right at Regulus, returning his awareness.

"At first he seemed like really, really shocked that I had the Dark Mark," she told him, and the dark-haired boy smirked slightly.

"Only Hollis Rosier could make the ever so calm Dumbledore shocked," Regulus smiled, pulling a pack of cigarettes out of his sweatpants pocket.

Cupping his hands around a flickering copper flame he had just nonverbally pulled away from the fire, Regulus lit the tip of the cigarette with a practiced grace that would have made any other girl besides Hollis swoon.