63 - "PINK WATER"

CHAPTER SIXTY-THREE

"pink water"

Number 12 Grimmauld Place was a quiet house during the summer. There was a constant tension between Regulus, Walburga, and Orion that never quite seemed to snap. Unlike Sirius, Regulus had never been struck by his parents or physically harmed. The majority of the time, he sat on his bed and waited for something to happen. What exactly he was waiting for, he wasn't sure.

Two loud raps on his black wooden door broke the silence.

Quickly standing up from the edge of his large four-poster bed, he jogged across the room to the door. The knock wasn't really asking for permission, and there would be trouble if he didn't open it within a few seconds. 

Grabbing the golden doorknob, Regulus pulled open the door to reveal Walburga Black standing there in semi-formal wear and her black hair done up into a tight bun that made her look even more strict than usual. His thoughts turned slightly panicked, he silently prayed that his mother hadn't informed him of some event and he had forgotten.

"Mother, I-" started Regulus, but Walburga shushed him promptly with a stern gaze. 

"Quiet, Regulus. The Rosiers are downstairs for tea, we need to talk to Mulstone and Vindia about Ministry matters."

Ministry my ass, thought Regulus with annoyance that he didn't dare let creep on his face. Death Eater, she means.

"I expect you to be down in five minutes," she finished briskly, turning to shut the door.

Deftly, before it closed all the way, Regulus caught the frame with his hand. "And Evan?" he asked.

Walburga straightened slightly, glad that he cared to associate with the right sorts of people. She had heard all about the Rosier's disobedient daughter, and she seemed like a nightmare compared to her Regulus.

Little did Walburga know, that pride she felt in her son's typical Slytherin pureblood ways made his stomach turn. The last thing Regulus wanted was to turn out as cruel as his mother.

"Evan will not be joining the other three today, he has a previous arrangement at the Notts."

Regulus internally sighed with relief that Evan would not be there, but he felt even better about the fact that he would get to talk to Hollis alone. Walburga coldly smirked as she shut the door until only an inch was open to reveal the grey wallpaper of the hallways, a smug afterthought making her pause. 

"And maybe you can try to knock some common sense into that Rosier girl."

.。*゚+.*.。   ゚+..。*゚+

Although the heavy coal drapes covering the huge glass panes were parted, no extra light shone into Hollis's room. The clouds were grey and thickly painted across the even grayer sky, blocking out all of the usual morning light. Tiny mists of rain fell down onto the pine forest surrounding Rosier Manor, covering the tapestry of greens in a light coating of silvery water. It seemed as if the sky couldn't decide if it wanted to release the water captive inside it or not, its indecisiveness pulling an even darker sheen over the already dreary weather.