10 - "WHICH SIDE OF HER WILL WE SEE NOW?"

CHAPTER TEN

"which side of her will we see now?"

Hollis had never had a hangover before Tuesday morning.

She woke up still in her yellow dress with only a pillow from an unknown source separating her from the cold, stone floor of the party. Her back ached as she propped herself up on her elbows, scanning the rest of the aftermath.

Certainly wasn't missing out on a pleasant experience, she thought, massaging her forehead to try and clear the stinging fog that seemed to have replaced her brain.

James was lying next to her, and Marlene on the other side. Sirius was passed out against the table that held exploding bonbons earlier, a complete mess of buttons and rings with a bit of drool coming from the corner of his mouth. At least he was a mess with black and not green hair.

"Morning," came a husky, deep voice from behind her.

Hollis turned to see Remus standing up, behind her, just now waking up. Her alcohol tolerance must be low, because one shot made Hollis's head spin as she stood up. Remus braced her slightly, which she was grateful for.

She wondered if he felt how she did when their skin touched.

Definitely not my alcohol tolerance, she thought, gritting her teeth.

Lupin quickly let go of her waist the second she became stable, turning away. Her skin still pleasantly burned where his hands had been, but she forced herself to get a better view of the room to distract herself away from any hungover thoughts along those lines.

James and Peter had fallen asleep half on top of each other, while Marlene was snoring loudly still. Sirius woke up with a start, like a horn had blown in his ear.

"Why does your birthday have to be on a goddamn Monday, Black?" moaned Hollis as she rubbed her eyes.

James opened his eyes at their bickering, his stirring making Peter shift into consciousness as well. He blindly felt around the floor for his glasses for a second, knowing he was dead if they had been broken in chaos. He would be blind without them, and being blind meant no quidditch, and no quidditch meant no motivation to live besides Evans.

"I'm sure your birthday is perfectly placed then, Rosier," James yawned, hopping to his feet as he victoriously slid the copper rims on, then stretching a hand down to help Peter.

"Yes, always on a Saturday," grumbled Hollis sarcastically, a stab of pain going through her head.

Remus smiled down at the girl almost a foot shorter than him, wondering if this humor would go away when she saw the Slytherins again. He wondered if she would continue to pretend like the Marauders were just some infuriating Gryffindors, or if this night had ended her charade once and for all.