19 - "DIFFINDO"

CHAPTER NINETEEN

"diffindo"

tw - abuse 

Vindia and Mulstone Rosier were more furious than Hollis had ever seen them. Even after she listened to a Death Eater meeting, her parents had a trace of calm in their brown eyes the exact same color as Hollis's. But now, while hers were warm and full, theirs were cold and empty and merciless.

Hollis looked from the dark woods to her waiting parents once more before ignoring them and looking back outside. It was a good method of hiding how much color had drained from her face.

"You will look at me when I speak to you, girl," demanded Mulstone.

Hollis slowly turned around, staring right back at her father with unbridled boldness.

"I wasn't aware you had started talking," she said with a tight smile as she hopped down from the window seat. Hollis instantly regretted it, a sickening feeling of shortness and vulnerability taking over.

"Entering the room should be enough," he replied coldly. 

Still standing across the long room from her, it was Hollis's mother that spoke now.

"This is the exact kind of disrespect you learn from associating with all those Gryffindors," Vindia stated with a flat voice. "Did we not warn you?"

Hollis had learned to conceal emotion in her voice from her mother.

The prim clicking of Vindia's black heels walking towards her was drowned out by the pounding in Hollis's head.

How do they know everything, she thought with panic, anger. How do they manage to watch me even while I'm at school?

"Those Gryffindors that you speak so poorly of are already better people than you will ever be," Hollis retorted, filling her voice with as much loathing as she could. Her fists clenched, her nails digging into her palms with a sharp pain. She felt her skin break, a drop of blood trickle down her wrist. 

It was easier to focus on pain she could control than pain that she couldn't.

"Leave us, Vindia," Mulstone commanded in an assertive voice to his wife, but keeping his eyes locked on his resilient daughter.

Mrs. Rosier exited the room with a swish of her black dress, obeying her husband no matter what she thought about what he said. It unnerved Hollis that her father wanted to talk to her alone, but it unnerved her more when she heard the crisp sound of her lock clicking into place. Hollis never understood why it had been installed, she had never even been permitted to use it.