39 - "THE DRAMATICS OF THE GRYFFINDOR COMMON ROOM"

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

"the dramatics of the gryffindor common room"

The instant that the portrait hole of the Gryffindor common room shut and the six fifth years had situated themselves around the fire, Marlene, Sirius, Lily, James, and Peter all turned to look at Remus. 

Lupin was completely oblivious as he opened his book, only looking up because of the unusual silence among his rowdy friends. James was the first to speak, adjusting the pillow that was behind him on the orange couch.

"So, dear Lupin, would you mind explaining what that was?" James asked cheerfully, making Marlene laugh with his overly happy tone.

Remus shut the dark yellow book that he had picked up and set it down on the carved coffee table in front of him to stall slightly before he had to answer James. "What do you mean?" 

Sirius slammed down his mug of hot chocolate he had just stolen from a pod of fourth years with a loud thud. He was quite done with the tension.

"Stop the bullshit, Remus," Sirius exclaimed, and no one could tell if he was joking or not based on his intense expression. "No way in hell you look at someone like that and you don't know what James is talking about."

The crackling of the fire and a game of Exploding Snap being played by some seventh years was all that could be heard for a few seconds as Remus thought of how to reply. Lily gracefully interjected, sensing Lupin's loss for words.

"I mean, I can understand where you're coming from, Remus," she said lightly, holding onto his forearm with a gentle hand.

James could barely stand to be in the same room as Lily anymore. Five years of watching her kindness was becoming unbearable; his childish desire had turned into something else.

"I mean," started Remus, scratching the back of his head, "it's like whenever I see her, I get this weird feeling in my chest like someone is squeezing it so that I can't breathe."

James raised an eyebrow and glanced slightly at Marlene, who laughed as Sirius spilled hot chocolate all over himself. "And when do you feel like this, again?" asked Peter, leaning towards Lupin from in his dark red armchair.

Remus thought for a moment. "I dunno, mainly when she's with Black or something?" he sighed, trying to get a hold of his thoughts.

"I believe," Sirius said with a crooked grin as he wiped the chocolate liquid off his shirt, "that that particular emotion would be called jealousy."

The other four Gryffindors nodded in agreement while Remus flushed slightly.

"But, jealous of what?" Remus asked them, furrowing his eyebrows. "I mean, it's not like we're dating or anything," he mumbled, trailing off at that last part.

Pettigrew groaned and held his head in his hands while simultaneously shaking it.

"For someone so smart, you can be a bit dense," Peter told Remus frustratedly.

Remus laid down all the way on the couch in exasperation, resting his head on the arm of the sofa while looking up at the tapestry-covered ceiling. "Well, what the hell do you suggest I do, then?" he asked through gritted teeth. "I can't just.. I can't.."

They all went quiet, nervously glancing at Lupin. He was clearly in an irritable mood, and none of them wanted to make him mad, especially not about Hollis.

"Would you rather let Nott get her?" asked Sirius suddenly, breaking the silence.

James inhaled sharply. Lily raised both brows, slowly blinking as she turned to Peter, who looked like he wanted to shrink down to the size of one of the marshmallows in Black's cup.

Remus slowly sat up from his laying down position. His green eyes met Sirius's unapologetic face with anger.

"What did you just say?" Remus asked, standing up.

The chair creaked slightly as Sirius stood up quickly as well.

"I said," Sirius repeated, his face determined, "would you rather let Nott get her?"

"She hates him," Remus reminded Sirius forcefully.

"She may, but her parents sure as hell don't."

Remus's face paled.

Sirius looked Remus dead in the eyes as he said this next part, making sure he had his full attention.

"And no matter how hard you try, you have no control over what happens to Hollis when she's not at Hogwarts. You have no idea what it's like to be in a family like mine or Hollis's," Sirius continued, his feet still moving towards Remus. "It's pureblood mania with them, and it's horrifying."

He felt a pit drop in his stomach; he knew that Sirius was right. He couldn't do anything to save Hollis from her family, not now. 

And that scared the living shit out of him.

He opened his mouth to reply, but before he could, the Marauders all felt a flare of warmth against their wrists. It was nothing out of the normal, just the usual enchanted. But it was enough of a reminder of Hollis to get them to stop fighting, knowing how upset Rosier would be if she saw them now.

So instead of continuing, Sirius and Remus both quietly sat back down on the warm, soft furniture of the Gryffindor common room.

"Game of Exploding Snap?" James suggested weakly after a few minutes of silence among the fifth years.

Lily shook her head, muttering something about homework. Marlene used that excuse as well and followed Lily upstairs. Peter yawned and said that he was going to sleep, along with Sirius. James paused and looked back at Remus before ascending up the stone staircase to their dorms.

Lupin looked like he couldn't decide if he wanted to scream or cry more before he rubbed his forehead and picked his book back up, only one thought going through his mind.

I hate hormones. 

istg sirius wants to die.

1k words