103 - "A MOMENT"

CHAPTER ONE HUNDRED AND THREE

"a moment"

Yea, I definitely shouldn't have done that, Hollis thought as she stepped out into the hallway just outside of Slughorn's massive office after shattering the glass in his hands out of pure temper. That's now two teachers that I've indirectly attacked. Well, both of them did sort of have it coming.

The open, cool air was a harsh but very welcome contrast to the hot, stuffy room she had been in for the past few hours and was secretly happy to escape. Despite its prestigious reputation, the Slug Club Christmas party was a bit of a dull letdown. She would have much rather been at a gathering planned by Sirius and James where she could actually have fun and not be scrutinized by her professor and his so-called distinguished guests every few minutes.

Pulling a pack of cigarettes and her wand simultaneously out of the hidden pocket of her dress Sirius had so graciously installed upon her request the night after Remus asked her to go with him, Hollis quickly lit the cylinder in between her middle and pointer fingers with a snap of her fingers. As she let a thin stream of twisting smoke ribbons the exact color of her dress twirl out from between her slightly parted lips, she thought about what Slughorn has said more than she cared to, or would ever, admit.

You two can be more similar than you realize, Miss Rosier.

Unfortunately, these words had launched into a spiral of intense self-doubt relating to her left forearm and her own actions more than the professor could possibly realize.

He's right, Hollis thought as she let her back press against the ornate, torchlit tapestry hanging on the wall behind her. We both use violence in our reactions. I'm on a path to becoming him. If I don't stop, I'm going to turn into my father.

There was a reason the Dark Mark, no matter how false it was, was affecting her so much.

The Rosier name followed Hollis around like a ghost wherever she went. It haunted her with ghastly reminders of the torture her parents had inflicted upon her in the past, the horrible crimes they were committing to 'purify' the wizarding society in the present, and the looming future ahead of her that she was expected to follow with a grip as frigid and unbreakable as a glacier. 

As she had once again become friends with Lily and Marlene and new companions with the Marauders in her fifth year, that name had been shed bit by bit. Her predetermined reputation as a Rosier had dissolved to most students, and that was something she was infinitely grateful for, no matter how much it infuriated her parents.

Not only had that cruel, pretentious label started to change to the Hogwarts students, Hollis had also started to see herself differently the more time she spent with her real friends.