104 - "HE'S SO DEAD"

CHAPTER ONE HUNDRED AND FOUR

"he's so dead"

Theodore Nott's cold, deep voice pierced through the warm and quiet moment like a drop of crimson blood on a pure white bandage.

Hollis and Remus immediately broke apart and stood up quickly, automatically going into a form of aggressive defense with his presence that had never once meant something good. Her eyes flew to the black seal ripped open on the thick envelope Theodore was holding, and she instantly recognized the Nott family seal.

For Hollis, it didn't take long for her to connect the dots between the arrogant, haughty look on Theodore's chiseled face and whatever news might be in that letter. And why else would Remus take such interest as Theodore had suggested?

"What your mother means, Appoline is that despite your disgusting, disgraceful, unladylike behavior, the Rosier reputation has still allowed you to be matched with a powerful pureblood family," Mulstone had told a rapidly paling Hollis. "And you better be grateful, young lady, because for a few weeks the arrangement was on the line after your behavior with those Gryffindors."

"Who is it?" she had asked.

"Theodore Nott."

There was simply no way that letter contained anything else. She had been dreading the moment where Theodore was given the knowledge that she had possessed since the end of summer. The moment he knew, that's when it would become real.

His face formed into a slight smirk as he saw the recognition in her eyes.

"No," Hollis said firmly, stepping towards him. "Get the hell out of here with that letter." He just stared back at her with predatory, light eyes, his smirk still very much present.

"Have you ever been told that you're too smart for your own good, Hol?" Theodore asked, spinning the envelope between two fingers subtly. "Figure things out too quickly?"

Her eyes narrowed, and for the first time in a long time, she felt the scars on her palms reopen. "Don't call me Hol," she spat. "And I thought I told you to leave me alone."

Theodore raised both eyebrows and tilt backward at Hollis's boldness. His face came back down with now only one raised eyebrow. Holding up the letter in his hand, his voice came out like ice. Hard and freezing.

"I think this letter gives me permission to do the exact opposite of that, Hol."

Remus had taken quite enough of Nott's bullshit. Placing himself between Hollis and Theodore, he glared at the boy with such pure hatred that anyone besides Nott, and probably Regulus, would have turned away from the intensity.