26 - "REG"

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

"reg"

"Hollis!" a muffled shout came from inside the glass, Lily calling out as she saw the Rosier walk by her and Marlene's compartment. She instantly turned into their car, just having been looking for them.

"I missed you!" cried Marlene, wrapping a hug around Hollis's shoulder, not her back. Lily followed suit before sitting back down as well.

"Where did you come from?" Lily asked, resting her head on Hollis's shoulder while rubbing her red hair between her thumb and middle finger. "You look all emotional."

"The Marauder's compartment," Hollis sighed, and Marlene rolled her eyes dramatically.

"They sure missed you, though, ran past our compartment like eight times looking for you," Marlene said causally, popping a piece of Drooble's Best Blowing Gum into her mouth.

She tensed slightly, surprised.

"They did?" she asked the redhead, wanting confirmation that Marlene wasn't just exaggerating.  

"Yea, led by Lupin," Lily smiled, looking softly happy for Hollis.

Hollis felt a tiny warmth bubble up inside her. As soon as she noticed, though, she pushed it down and dismissed it. She had too much going on in her mind already to add her continuously growing feelings for Lupin to the mix. 

"I'm dying for some sweets," she declared, standing up. Marlene stood up as well.

"We're almost at the end of the train, trolley lady will take forever to get down here," Marlene observed, poking her head out of the door. 

"Let's go walk to her," Hollis said, her stomach pain increasing. The two girls stepped out and waited on Lily, who had broken into a book her parents had given her for Christmas. 

"Lil, you coming?" asked Marlene, standing in the metal doorframe.

Lily looked up from the thick novel and shook her head, red hair catching the lamplight.

"I got so many books for Christmas, I need to start on them," she said, patting the foot tall, ready to topple stack next to her of all kinds of texts.

"Anything you want?" called Hollis back at Lily.

"I'll steal some of yours!" she laughed, making Hollis groan.

"Try me, Evans."

Marlene jogged a bit to catch up to Hollis, who had already begun to search for the loaded sweets cart. Rosier had her hands tucked into her black dragonhide pockets, her fingers rubbing a sickle back and forth to fidget.