23 - "AN EXPLOSION OF WARMTH"

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

"an explosion of warmth"

tw - suicidal thoughts

For a long time, Hollis and Regulus sat in the cold garden looking up at the night sky, their eyes roaming over constellations and burning into the moon. Neither of them spoke, lost deep in their own thoughts.

Regulus was thinking of any way he could help Hollis without getting himself or her in more trouble. Hollis was wondering what would happen when someone found them, what state of injury she would return to Hogwarts in.

Both of them had smoked through a dozen cigarettes.

From the west side of the courtyard, a blue tinted light shone in a thin beam on the marble, the sharp sign of a door opening. The light widened until the sound of a wooden door hitting stone thudded through the silence, then another thud as it shut. 

Someone was out here with them. 

Hollis and Regulus slowly turned towards one another, panic coming slow and strong.

"What do we do?" she whispered frantically. "We can't just act like we were discussing how much we hate our families a few minutes ago and then smoking!"

Regulus groaned at their luck, running a hand down his face. He looked from Hollis's lips to her hand very quickly, an idea coming to him.

"Your lipstick, it's dark red," he stated simply.

"No shit. what's your idea?"

Regulus swallowed forcefully, immediately becoming uncomfortable.

"Just kiss my neck once so that your lipstick smears down it," he said hurriedly, beginning to stand up from the black fountain.

Hollis just stared at him with a deadly expression.

"You're mental."

"Hollis, would you rather them think that we were talking shit about purebloods or that you were finally showing interest in someone your parents like?" Regulus asked in a desperate voice, his grey eyes pleading for her to protect herself.

Hollis crossed her arms and stood up as well. She knew he was right. It would work, and it was just about the only option they had any more.

With a deep sigh, she hastily moved towards Regulus and dragged her lips from his ear down to his collarbone. Regulus tensed up, neither of them taking pleasure in this.

It had worked, though, because in the moonlight, the red smear was shockingly obvious against his milky skin. 

"Mess up your hair," Hollis instructed urgently as the footsteps came closer.