75 - "THE SECRETS ABOARD THE HOGWARTS EXPRESS"

CHAPTER SEVENTY-FIVE

"the secrets aboard the hogwarts express"

Somehow, Hollis had managed to fall asleep in less than a minute in the Marauder's compartment that the rest hadn't yet arrived in, never fully caught up on her sleep. Her head was rested against the window displaying the passing mountains covered with pine trees and large, glittering lakes, a pleasant change of scenery from the darker side of Lolchant. These first few moments of the train rides were always a sort of peaceful sanctuary to Hollis. Always the start of either a new school year or a new year in general, they symbolized a fresh start.

However, even in her dreams, her thoughts wandered back to the boy she hadn't seen in ninety two days. Not that she had been counting. As if these thoughts had extended a silent lifeline, a voice came from the doorway of their compartment, a voice that was full and warm and sweet and strong all at once. A voice that Hollis hadn't heard anywhere but her memories and dreams for three months.

"Can I finally see that book now?"

Her eyes flew open as she practically apparated to the beaming boy leaning against the door frame. She was having a hard time processing that Remus was actually standing in front of her. After a quarter of a year of waiting, it seemed like she was going to snap out of this beautiful dream any second and be back at Rosier Manor, silently staring up at the ceiling. 

But when two very real, sturdy yet somehow still soft arms wrapped around her waist, Hollis knew that she wasn't dreaming.

She was really away from that place, even if it was only for a few months.

Hollis buried her head in Remus's brown t-shirt that still smelled just like that laundry detergent, almost crying with relief at how familiar and steady this all was. The new scar on her shoulder, bloodroot that had been forced into her veins, the bruises, and cuts all over her body, and the hunger that she was still enduring were now all worth it, all the effort far from fruitless if it meant she could keep holding onto this boy.

While Remus was feeling just as much elation and relief at Hollis really being here with him, there was something unsettlingly alarming overpowering that ease. Her waist had gotten much, much thinner. 

When he had initially wrapped his arms around her, he had been expecting for his forearms to hit muscle, but all they hit was empty air underneath the thick green fabric where there was normally skin. He could also feel her fingers against his back, hard and small, like all that was left was bone with an incredibly thin layer of skin.

Like a skeleton.

"Hollis?" came a voice from behind where Remus and her were entwined.

"James!"