46 - "ARE YOU FALLING, TOO?"

CHAPTER FORTY-SIX

song of the chapter - "animal" by neon trees

"are you falling, too?"

Hollis wasn't exactly sure what they were supposed to do next. With a tentative hoof forward, James began to creep slowly towards the exhausted Remus.

Remus lunged and growled at the stag approaching him in either defense or aggression, Hollis wasn't sure.

The stag stepped backward towards Sirius again hurriedly, and for another moment the air was still. Then, with a tiny white paw forward, Hollis began to move towards the werewolf.

The creaky floorboards squeaked under her small, padded claws as she slowly went up to Remus, whose breath was heaving rapidly. Once again, the werewolf made a move like he was going to knock the animal approaching him out of his way. Instead of scrambling back as James had, Hollis didn't even flinch as Remus advanced.

The tiny fox looked up at the huge werewolf with circular, brown eyes.

Sirius, James, and Peter all held their breaths as Hollis continued to slowly make her way to Remus's side. None of them had ever tried something like this before, and they were terrified. Not of Lupin, but of the unexpected.

The werewolf wasn't making any aggressive moves anymore, he was just very carefully watching the small animal slowly advance towards him. Remus was still tense, his werewolf form not understanding quite yet that he knew this little fox coming towards him.

Hollis froze as she reached Remus's leg. The three boys behind her barely dared to breathe for the wariness of breaking the moment.

Like the world was moving in slow motion, Hollis reached her white paw out and softly placed it on top of Remus's dark grey, bony one. All four Animagi were expecting a violent reaction from Remus.

Instead, all the werewolf did was look down at the warm, white fur slowly warming his cold paw. The contact between the two creatures was not one that could be made between a pair of humans.

Animals felt a deeper emotional connection and less logic than humans. They spoke through feelings, not carefully articulated words that could be manipulated and twisted.

In this touch, two emotions were conveyed.

Trust and longing.

With a small motion of his neck, Remus gently nuzzled his furry forehead between the fox's eyes. After a few moments of shock, Hollis rubbed her tiny head back against his nose. It was a peaceful and beautiful moment that none of the Animagi had anticipated.

For hours, the five animals began to roam around the Hogwarts grounds. The werewolf was hesitant towards the stag, dog, and rat at first, but with a little bit of the fox's reassurance, he quickly bonded with them as well. They explored the twisting stone paths and mountains, even going into an empty Hogsmeade during the darkest part of night. The more time they spent together, the more all five of them came to their senses.