29 - "HINTS"

TWENTY NINE

"hints"

"Today, we are starting Vanishing Spells. These are easier than Conjuring Spells, which you would not usually attempt until N.E.W.T. level, but they are still among the most difficult magic you will be tested on in your O.W.Ls," McGonagall told her fifth year class, writing on the chalkboard as she went.

Peter groaned; he had never been any good at Transfiguration. McGonagall gave the boy a pointed glare that made him sink in his seat before continuing.

"You will be Vanishing snails today, and Mr. Pettigrew will pass them out," McGonagall said, handing Peter a small wooden box as the chalk continued to write on its own behind her.

Hollis raised her hand with her elbow still propped up on the desk to ask McGonagall a question, but neither Remus nor Sirius heard it. 

They were too busy noticing the semicircle indents on her palms that he had never seen before, dried blood around the edges like tiny knives had scraped out minuscule portions of her skin. Remus frowned and looked at Sirius, who had noticed the injury from clenching her fists much too hard as well.

Both of them tried to ask Rosier on her way out, but she was too busy rushing to get to her appointment with her head of house for them to catch her.

"You'd need top grades for that," Slughorn said to Hollis as he scanned her determined face. "They ask for a minimum of five N.E.W.Ts, and nothing under 'Exceeds Expectations' grade, I see," he said, listing requirements off with his pudgy fingers. "Then you would be required to undergo a stringent series of character and aptitude tests at the Auror office. It's a difficult career path... they only take the best."

Hollis nodded firmly.

"It's what I want to do with my life, sir."

"What did you tell Slughorn you planned on doing after school?" asked James, standing up from the bench he and Remus had been sitting on outside their Potion teacher's classroom.

Hollis carefully shut the door behind her.

"I want to be an Auror," she told the two boys with a grin.

Remus didn't return the smile. His shock wasn't because wasn't smart enough, there was no doubt about that. He was hesitant because her family was full of Death Eaters, the exact people she would be fighting against.

"But isn't that a little, uh.." Remus started, scratching the back of his head as they started to walk. "You know, your parents being, uhm, supporters of You-Know-Who and all," he said, obviously uncomfortable with the truth. "Isn't that a bit.. you get what I mean."

Hollis didn't blink twice before responding.

"That's the whole point. I've experienced first hand the damage the Dark Arts can do when placed in the wrong hands, and-" Hollis began, but cut herself off the second she realized what she had just let slip.