6 - "WHITE BANDAGES"

CHAPTER SIX

"white bandages"

"white bandages"

The four Marauders were waiting for everyone else to exit the common room, and it was taking too damn long. It was a full moon, and it was time to test another Animagus attempt.

After sending the last clump of first years flying up the stairs with a very forceful glare and rude hand gesture, Sirius declared that they were finally ready.

"You didn't have to terrify them," muttered Remus, chuckling slightly.

"Annoying little fuckers, yes we did," laughed James, loud enough to wake up even the Hufflepuff dorms. He received a three way hush, which ended up making them all laugh more.

"Hey, we were that idiotic when we were eleven," Peter reminded them. "Show a little sympathy."

"Speak for yourself, I could charm all the ladies even with my first year looks," butted in Sirius with a husky voice, biting his lip as they threw the cloak over the four of them. "An eleven year old womanizer."

Granted, this was very hard considering their height. Only Peter could fully stand up, while the other three's thighs were burning from squatting and clambering upstairs.

"What, in the name of Godric, did you put on your soles to make them so spiky?"

"Purposely installed spikes just to step on your feet."

"Shut your trap."

"Why would he lie?"

"No, shut your bloody trap! I just heard something."

All four of them froze, right as they were about to reach the entrance to the Shrieking Shack. 

A crumble of leaves twitched in the night. Sirius was certain anyone could hear his heartbeat from the Astronomy Tower. After a few more moments of suspense, a simple fox sprinted out from the corner. All four let out a sigh of relief.

"False alarm," Potter muttered, throwing off the cloak now that they were out of sight of the castle. The cold air was a relief from the stuffy fabric, and deep breathes were rapidly being taken in.

The fox stopped and turned back around to look at them.

"Is it just me, or is that fox being a little bit creepy?" whispered James to Sirius, who nodded in return. Remus turned quickly at their voices, his eyes falling on the fox as well. The instant Remus's gaze landed on the dark red creature, it sprinted away.

The moon came out from behind the clouds before they could discuss any further.

Then, the pain took over.