93 - "TRUCE"

CHAPTER NINETY-THREE

"truce"

Without meaning to, when Hollis was leaning into Remus in that fateful tunnel, she completely lost consciousness from pure exhaustion. Pulling back slightly in alarm as Hollis went limp, Lupin's heart dropped for a second. But as she took in a gentle inhale, he realized she must have fallen into a much-needed sleep. Softly scooping her up in his arms as she breathed deeply in rest, Remus nodded at the others to leave the tunnel.

Sirius's eyes went wide in alarm for a second, but then Remus mouthed she's sleeping to the panicked boy and his face relaxed once more.

The four Gryffindors and two Slytherins made their way out into the dusk. Orange, lemon, and strawberry light flooded the lime green grass, and they all realized that they didn't have long to make it to the hospital wing before professors and students would start to wake up.

At this point, Hollis was too hurt to heal Remus, Remus was exhausted, and the others didn't know how to help the pair, so the hospital wing had been the unanimous yet silent decision among them. Madam Pomfrey had learned not to ask questions when it came to the five Marauders. Most of the time she didn't even want to know what they had been up to in order to cause the various injuries she often saw.

Regulus was silent most of the way to the hospital wing. He didn't talk to his brother because he knew the sixth year would only reply with spite no matter what he said. James was sure to just glare at Regulus if he tried to speak, and Peter would follow in his idol's shadow with this reaction. As for Remus, that stubborn boy felt so much despising tension towards the seventh year that he didn't even try.

The only Marauder that Regulus really liked was Hollis.

Although he would never admit it, Regulus secretly was thankful to the four Gryffindors for what they had managed to bring out in Hollis. The Rosier had been the best of friends with Lily and Marlene since her first year, but even those two girls just didn't have the same way of bringing out the mischief and joy in people like James, Sirius, Peter, and Remus did. 

When Hollis had come to Hogwarts in her fifth year, Regulus had seen how scared she was of everything. Terrified to make a mistake. But when she had somehow collided with the Gryffindors, the side of boldest her that had been waiting to come out for so, so long had finally risen to the surface. It was something that Regulus was regretful that he could not have done, yet he was glad at least someone was able to achieve it.

"We're here," Peter said quietly, and Regulus realized his feet had subconsciously carried him to the hospital wing doors while he had been so deep in thought.

And then, out of nowhere, Sirius punched James as hard as he could in the face. The amount of force made blood drip from James's nose steadily, and the hazel eyed boy cried out in shock.