71 - "AN ARRANGEMENT"

CHAPTER SEVENTY-ONE

"an arrangement"

A few weeks after the Dark Marks had been tattooed on over a dozen Hogwarts students, Regulus and Hollis had found ways to meet nearly every week to plot their communication of Death Eater information. During these meetings, Regulus would always manage to sneak Hollis some much-needed food in addition to the small amounts Monty was managing.

Although her parents hadn't cursed, poisoned, or hit her in weeks, the kitchens were still magically locked shut. Hollis wasn't entirely sure how her parents thought she wasn't dying of starvation, but they somehow knew that she was still alive, even if barely. 

The only person she had seen since the recruitment ball was Regulus, besides her bracelet communication with the Marauders. Her shoulder had almost completely healed after the little action it had seen for the past two and a half months, one of the few positives she could find in being at Rosier Manor instead of Hogwarts.

The majority of her physical struggle was now hunger.

Despite the fact that whenever the Blacks visited, which was becoming increasingly frequent with so many new Death Eaters, Regulus snuck Hollis food, she was still almost always desperately in need of nutrients, something to fill her stomach. That stabbing, scraping sensation going down her insides was now practically normal, although that in no way made it hurt any less.

Hollis now spent almost no time in her room in Rosier Manor; the library had become her dwelling place. Constantly surrounding herself with knowledge, no matter how dark, deeply comforted her, reminded her of the school that she would be returning to in two weeks time, along with a particular boy that was always trying to figure out what her latest novel was about. 

Although Hollis had initially hated how the Rosier library contained only thick, dusty volumes with black typewriter font and gruesome diagrams on the Dark Arts, this plethora of information was proving to be highly useful in their preparation for sabotaging the Death Eaters.

The youngest Rosier was gaining a bulk of knowledge on the Dark Arts themselves so that her act could be as convincing as possible. In order for this plan to fully work, Dumbledore would have to think that Hollis had truly become a Death Eater, and that act would snap in a second if it somehow became clear she didn't know what she was talking about. 

While some people may have been drawn into the Dark Arts from surrounding themself with so much information on them, this constant intake of new curses and disturbing potions had the opposite effect on Hollis. The more repulsed she became at the horrific magic ways, the more her ambition to prevent these methods from being employed any more increased.

Another unexpected element of usefulness was coming out of this research as well.

Having been raised by Vinida and Mulstone Rosier, Hollis obviously had a very expansive knowledge of pureblood demeanors, as that day in Moribund had proven. However, there was only so much she could learn on her own. Pouring over texts written with repulsively obvious prejudice against muggleborns and halfbloods, Hollis could get deep into the author's perspective and motivations for believing these horrible lies. No matter how much she cringed reading them, she still felt that it was beneficial to understand this point of view.