11 - "NO MORE PLAYING NICE"

CHAPTER ELEVEN

"no more playing nice"

tw - mentions of abuse

"But you're a girl," Lucius scoffed, Hollis just having told him that she was trying out for the Slytherin quidditch team.

She stared at Malfoy, eyes narrowed. She could take most of his comments, but blatant sexism was where she drew the line. No one would be writing to her parents for correcting a little bit of misogyny. Hopefully.

"And why would that matter?" she asked, stabbing particularly hard at her eggs.

"Girls don't play quidditch," retorted Malfoy, as if he was stating the obvious.

"And most girls have self respect, but you somehow have a girlfriend," Hollis snapped at Lucius.

Regulus laughed into his cup, but Malfoy was staring daggers at her.

She had never acted like this towards them until she became entangled with the Marauders. Somehow, none of them had managed to figure out how, or when this was happening. Hollis acted as distant towards the Gryffindor boys as ever, but somehow those four still managed to find out more and more about her.

And now, the battles that she chose to fight were becoming sharper and sharper.

"What position are you trying for?" Lucius asked, venom delicately laced into his voice.

A few weeks ago, Hollis had started to help James, Peter, and Sirius become Animagi. They had asked for the help, and she had set some conditions they begrudgingly agreed to. She would never tell them how she learned, or specific reasons why she needed to become a fox, and they weren't allowed to press any further on those questions. 

Most of the time, they would become so frustrated with either their lack of progress or the mystery shrouding it all that someone ended up throwing something along the lines of a roll of toilet paper or candy wrapper, usually Peter or James. 

From this, they discovered that she had a knack for moving swiftly to dodge or catch things, and Sirius had suggested for her to try out for the Slytherin Keeper. James had instantly put down the idea, not because Hollis was a girl, but because he was a Chaser for Gryffindor. The last thing he wanted was to score half his normal points because she was his new target. 

It's like working against your friends! he had exclaimed passionately, hands flying. And you do really want that?

But Hollis was set on it.

"Keeper. You?"

Lucius gave her a false smile, tilting his head slightly.

"The same."