83 - "UP TO NO GOOD"

CHAPTER EIGHTY-THREE

"up to no good"

Hollis, Lily, and Marlene were standing in a line in a sunny courtyard just outside the corridor leading down into the dungeons. The three girls were watching a bunch of seventh years have a competition of who could levitate a heavy stone bench for longer without their wand arm giving out.

So far, Gideon Prewett had done the best.

The red haired boy had shot quite a few glances Lily's way while doing this, obviously trying to impress the girl he had gone to Hogsmeade last Valentine's day with. Lily couldn't deny that he was both attractive and brilliant, but he was missing that little bit of flare. The kind that James had. Blushing slightly at her own thoughts, Lily turned to Marlene with a determination to get her mind off James.

"How long do you reckon they're going to do this for?"

Marlene glanced at Lily with a grin.

"Why, is your dear Gideon starting to annoy you?" Marlene asked, winking at Hollis, who was on the other side of Lily.

"I think James might start to get jealous, Lils," Hollis smiled, giggling slightly at how even the mention of James could make Lily's pale cheeks flush a soft pink. "Don't watch Prewett too closely."

"Who knows, maybe that boy has placed spies everywhere," Marlene said, dropping her voice to a conspirational whisper. "To make sure you don't go off fancying any other guy."

Hollis giggled again and then started to play along with Marlene. "Yea, you better watch out. Who knows what lengths James will go to if he really wants you."

Lily thought that James had done quite enough because it was starting to finally work after six years.

"What are you three laughing on about?" asked Gideon, the tall boy now standing in front of the best friends with a grin.

Marlene and Hollis exchanged a glance again, making their laughter almost instantly break again.

Gideon was about to turn to only Lily, but then he noticed something peculiar slightly sticking out of the Slytherin's robes. It was an average piece of parchment, besides the fact that tiny footprints were moving all over the little bit that he could see.

"What is that?" Gideon asked, snatching the paper out of Hollis's pocket with curiosity.

The Rosier's eyes widened as she realized what Gideon had seen, and she quickly snatched the Map back. Hoping that the seventh year Gryffindor hadn't seen anything, Hollis abruptly set off to the library as fast as she could, yelling an apology behind her.

Gideon was frozen. Her sleeve had moved up slightly, a tiny sliver of ink that could have just been a catch of the light revealed on her left forearm.