69 - "SNAKE EYES"

CHAPTER SIXTY-NINE

song of the chapter - "panic room" by au/ra

"snake eyes"

It became clear the moment Hollis walked into the ballroom of Rosier Manor that this would not be a normal dance. Instead of elegantly waltzing couples and mingling families moving across the inky marble, the center of the floor was entirely clear. Only silence remained where a haunting, slow, melody coming from musicians in a corner should have been. Even more curiously, the ring was full of half Slytherin in their fifth, sixth, and seventh years at Hogwarts.

Alright, Hollis thought dryly. What the hell are you fuckers up to this time?

The Rosier family was the last to enter the silent, looming room. Moving swiftly yet gracefully across the patterned tile, they stood next to the Blacks without saying a word. Hollis was reaching a point of confusion deeper than she had in a long time, and from the look on panicked Regulus's face, he was too.

Both of them had learned to look at the unexpected with caution and not a shred of trust, and this cryptic scene was only strengthening that practice. 

There was a loud boom as the two ceiling-high, dark wooden doors closed shut with a boom. The doors have never been shut in a ball before, Hollis thought, franticness increasing. What's happening?

She watched as all of the adults in the room turned their heads towards the back entrance of the ballroom. Curiously but as discreetly as they could, the teenagers did the same.

A man wearing a black robe walked onto the center of the floor dramatically. The steel soles of his shoes creating a threatening tempo, one that sent a shiver down Hollis's spine. The man had light, curly brown hair with every strand perfectly in place along with sharp, chiseled features. However, there were many things about him that seemed just a little bit off to Hollis.

For one, his pupils weren't round and circular at all, they were on their way to becoming as thin as a viper's. Still studying his eyes, Hollis noticed that they weren't a very dark brown as she originally thought. Instead, his irises were the exact shade of red as a deep, penetrating cut. Despite this color being in the warm family, they held not a single shred of anything but evil.

Pure, bottomless evil.

Along with all the other students in the room, Hollis could tell that this man was important. Yet she still had no idea who he was and what he was doing here.

The man slowly began to turn, observing every person, particularly the teenagers, in the room. After a few more unnerving moments of silence, he broke the tension.

Hollis wasn't entirely sure what voice she had been expecting, but it certainly wasn't this.

It made her feel physically cold, small goosebumps appearing on her arms, as if ice had frozen around his vocal cords, strangling all of his words with coldness. For some odd reason, it also reminded Hollis of a snake. There was no sort of hissing, yet it seemed sly, manipulative.