44 - "MORIBUND STREET"

CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR

"moribund street"

Many of the couples visiting Hogsmeade were confused as they saw three pairs of footprints from invisible feet being tracked next to them in the fluffy, white snow.

"They said something about going to Honeydukes," Hollis told the two tall boys crouched behind her as they navigated their way through the groups of people wrapped up in puffy jackets and scarves.

"Right, so we head in that direction and then prank the shit out of them," Remus confirmed, and James nodded with a slightly sour expression.

"And if we see our dear friend Gideon," James spat, his nose wrinkling slightly, "then we take advantage of this cloak in a much less joking manner."

Hollis and Remus exchanged a slightly nervous glance. There was no telling what James would do to Prewett after what they had seen him put Severus through for being so close to Lily when he couldn't.

"Shit, shit," muttered James, noticing something that Hollis and Remus hadn't. They both followed his eyes and saw who he was looking at.

Sirius and Marlene were standing almost directly in front of them, both of their cheeks pink from the cold.

"We haven't run by Zonko's yet for supplies, go!" Remus said hurriedly, and the three of them turned around as quickly as they could underneath the cloak.

However, the crowds were thick and the cloak was too small for the height of the two boys. An someone's cane got caught in the loop of Hollis's shoelace, while James's shoulder got bumped by a pod of obnoxious third year Hufflepuffs and Slytherins walking together.

Hollis felt her foot being yanked away, forcing her to move out from under the cloak. The pale old man had shock written all over his wrinkled face as a flustered girl appeared out from nowhere, frantically apologizing.

There was a sea of thick winter coats and robes swarming all around Hollis, knocking her over. She was by far one of the shortest in the alley, even among the children. After a few moments of shoving and pardoning herself, Hollis made it out of the stampede and on a cast iron bench in front of Mr. Mulpepper's Apothecary, a shop she went to when she was out of Potions class ingredients.

"Remus?" she called, trying to see over the many heads of people moving in different directions like an ever changing current. "James?"

Her calls were drowned out by the loud crowd.

After a few more minutes of trying, Hollis accepted that she just wasn't going to find them in the huge masses of people filtering through Hogsmeade on a holiday. They too had gotten carried away, and hadn't started to head to Zonko's like she knew they wouldn't.