98 - "ROSIER RESEMBLANCE"

CHAPTER NINETY-EIGHT

"rosier resemblance"

^ i cannot emphasize how much this is just james this whole chapter

The instant that the sixth year Gryffindors and Slytherins were let out of Defence Against the Dark Arts and Hollis had gotten her wand back, the other four Marauders, Lily, and Marlene all swarmed to Hollis as quickly as they could.

James, having never actually seen her do wandless magic before, was the first to reach her out of sheer determination.

"What the bloody hell was that, Nyx?" he asked, keeping up the quick pace she was setting. "You can't just go blowing up ink bottles whenever you're mad!"

She turned her neck to look James right in his hazel eyes.

"Can't I, Potter?" Hollis bit back, her face hard and expressionless.

Cringing slightly at her tone, James blinked several times in confusion and turned his face back to the hallway in front of him.

Hollis furrowed her brow at whatever had just come out of her.

"I-I'm sorry," she stammered, turning back to Potter, who did the same in return. "I don't know what that was."

The Gryffindor let out a genuine, full laugh that easily made her heart feel warm with the reassurance that everything was fine. James had that effortless effect on people without really trying. 

"We all have shitty days, no need to apologise," he smiled, slinging an arm around the short girl's shoulder. "But my question still remains."

Hollis took in a deep breath before she answered.

"You know when we were little, we made things happen when we were mad and stuff?" she asked, and he nodded. "Well, it's kinda like that's coming back for me. Except now I can control it."

"Control it?" he prompted, still visibly confused.

"I dunno, it's like now I can attach it to emotion. The whole thing is a bit odd, really, it isn't like waving your wand and flicking your wrist."

James took off his copper rimmed, round glasses, rubbed his eyes, and then slid them back on.

"Yeah, still not following."

Groaning in frustration with her lack of ability to explain, Hollis tilted her head back slightly.

"It's like trying to tell someone how to walk or breathe, Prongs. You just kinda have to know, you get it?"

James was a bit nervous to tell her no yet again, so he instead veered to McGonagall's office.

"D'you reckon Minnie would know?"