XLIX. Second Shooter

Joshua's POV:

I can hear the sound of a fish jumping in the lake. Then, the sound of the fish inside the bucket. "What?" What baffled me is that Mason had sex already. I knew he had girlfriends, but fuck.

"Sex isn't that great, so you're not missing out on anything." Weirdly, I believe he is trying to comfort me. I know he's not gloating because Mason never gloats. It's not his thing.

I ran my tongue across my cheek and nodded, "Noted."

Ahmend tilts his sunglasses down and gazes deeply into Mason's eyes. "I don't know who you've been fucking with, but don't you ever disrespect the beautiful God's generosity of lovemaking."

"Amen to that," Tyson grumbles.

Ahmend looked at Ricardo, "Right, dude?"

Ricardo stares at him for a long time before he responds: "Yeah." He turns back to the paper on his lap.

I tilt the upper half of my body and look at his work. "Use the other formula."

He stares at it.

"Because you're looking for pressure."

He nods and writes again.

The silence returns.

It's nice today. The sun is bright, but not too much. We caught a good amount of fish. I took some photos.

My parents can be confusing, sometimes. Dad spoils mom but refuses to spoil their children.

Then again, looking at my cousin, Ahmend, Madison, and most of the students at Pandora High. I would understand why they revoke a lot of our privileges.

But I want a car.

A nice one.

The color grey would be good. Not too flashy. No, I want blue. Would blue be a good color?

Audi R21.

That car would be nice.

Fast.

But Hailey doesn't like it when I drive fast. She says it scares her. I'll drive slow. Yeah. Sounds good. I'll drive slowly in the fast car.

I wonder what Hailey is doing right now. She's probably taking her daily dosage of an afternoon nap or maybe binge-watching a television show.

I wonder if I can trick her into kissing me like she did when we were younger. What is a good opportunity? New Year is coming soon. Maybe I can say something like - Hey, HayBug, want to be my New Year date?

Is it too soon to ask her to be my New Year date?

Wait. We spend New Year with our families, so that wouldn't work.

The Halloween Party is coming up soon, but Hailey probably can't go since she has to study. One night of rest wouldn't hurt, right? Then again, she probably wants to trick or treat dressed as a banana instead of going to the party.

She would look so cute as a banana with her blonde hair.

"Seriously?" Ahmend's voice threw me off guard. He stood up, and we all stare at him. "We're all going to really sit here and fish all day while Ricardo plays catchup with his studies?"

"Yeah," we all said at the same time.

"Come on! Let's go clubbing. I know someone who can hook us up."

No one responds. I exhale, "I can't."

"Why not?"

"Because we got school tomorrow, dumbass."