XLV. Swing

Joshua's POV:

No matter how stimulating it sounds, waking up with a boner slapping against your lower abdomen is never fun.

Mainly, if you're waking up at 4:21 am with the girl you've been attracted to ever since elementary school in your arms.

Believe me; it had never been this hard until puberty slapped me in the face at eleven.

One moment my voice pitched, then the next day, it dropped like someone shoved a rock into my throat. Then, the hair - there was hair everywhere. Just when I thought things couldn't get worse, one summer, I grew a whole foot - which resulted in a forehead slammed at every door frame, and branches became my enemy.

It was definitely awkward, bathing with Hailey at that age - especially when she kept poking my erecting dick. It only got more awkward when our mothers caught us bathing together when we're not supposed to.

Our parents forbid us to bathe together when I turned ten, and I never understood why - until that day.

Dad sat me down and explained everything - with details and diagrams - on how my body was changing.

I was sexually attracted to Hailey, who was nine.

I never want to have that conversation again.

I tried to stop hanging out with Hailey after that, but God, she smells so good all the time.

Not too long afterward, her parents noticed my more than friend attraction to Hailey. That and they caught me kissing her when I was twelve, and she was ten.

I convinced Hailey that I liked this girl - which isn't a lie because I did like her - and I didn't want to be a bad kisser. I probably should've come up with a better excuse, but I was twelve and apparently horny.

So, that summer, Hailey and I made out in my bedroom for the very first time.

First and last.

Mr.Vaughn was not happy catching his only ten-year-old daughter sitting on her so-called best friend's lap.

I definitely got an earful from everybody.

I even made Mrs. Vaughn's watch list, and she likes me more than my own parents!

Mom threatened to disown me if I pulled that kind of trick on Hailey again.

Dad secretly gave me a thumb up. Then again, he lost his virginity at fourteen in the backseat of a car with this unknown girl, so he isn't precisely role-model material.

Mr.Vaughn suggested I somehow disappear during a snowstorm...during summer.

I slip my hand across the bed and onto the nightstand, tapping on the glass screen, realizing I have a little over half an hour before soccer practice. Releasing a hazy breath, I held Hailey, then rolled over, and tucked the blanket on her body.

I promised the Vaughn that I wouldn't confess my feelings to Hailey until she is sixteen and nothing sexual until she is eighteen.

I'm willing to wait for Hailey.

I move the hair away from her face, and she snorts.

Because she's worth it.

I change into my running clothes and plant a light kiss on her cheek.

"Wow, can you be any more obvious?" I turn around to see the thorn on my side. It would've been so damn perfect if that guy wasn't here.

My jaw cracks and I turn around, "Good morning to you too," I whisper, despite knowing Hailey sleeps like a log.