IV. Last Call for New York

A G E
Hailey Vaughn: 14 years old
Joshua Greyson: 16 years old

Hailey's POV:

I step on the scale and the numbers change.

I smile.

It's been a year since I last saw Josh.

Unlike all the previous years, we haven't spent the holidays, birthdays, or breaks together. Josh had been busy with school and learning about his family business while I refused to come to visit him.

I know it's wrong of me, and my heart drops whenever I hear Josh mumbling words of dissatisfaction over the phone.

I wiggle my toes a few times, feeling the cooling sensation under my feet. I stop and look at myself in the mirror. Running my fingers down my curves, I sigh, seeing the stretch marks. Mom said it's because I lost weight a bit too quickly during fitness camp. That's what I did the past year, went to fitness camp whenever I'm on break instead of visiting Josh.

I tiptoe downstairs, silently placing on my shoes, and open the door. The fresh morning air rushed past my skin, and I threw on my hood to start my morning jog. Exhaling cold air in the dark, I feel my body heating up with each step. After a few miles, I stop running and lean against the stone wall. Standing on top of the mountain, I watch as the sunrise splattering the sky with a bright yellow, orange, and red.

My phone vibrates, disturbing the peaceful morning. I grab it and smile. "Good morning, you."

A low chuckle lingers in my ear. "Good morning, beautiful," his voice is deeper than I remembered.

I turn around, leaning against the cold wall. "What got you calling?"

"What? I can't call to hear your voice?"

I chew on my lower lip. "You can."

He sighs, "I miss you, HayBug. I wish I can fly over there now," he grumbles.

I slide down the wall, feeling the cold hit my bum as I scrunch my legs against my stomach, resting my head on my knees. "I'm coming in a few days."

"A few days is too long," he complains, and I can imagine him pouting. There's a knocking sound on his end and some mumbling words. Silently, I listen to the incoherent sounds as my eyes close, feeling the cool breeze.

"I got to go to soccer practice. I'll call you later, okay?"

My heart drops, "Okay."

"HayBug?"

"Yeah?"

"I can't wait to see you," he said.

A smile breaks onto my face. "Me too."

The call ends.

I stand up, stretching my aching body. "Three more days," I mumble to myself, then jog home.

I clicked the front door open, hearing nothing, and I knew everyone was still asleep. I jogged upstairs and went into my bedroom to get ready for a fresh shower. Grabbing some clothes, a box slipped out and hit my head.