VIII. High School

Hailey's POV:

I would be lying if I didn't admit that I felt a bit better after that conversation.

"What's up with the creepy smile?" Josh asked. Apparently, I've been creepily smiling for a while.

"Nothing."

Josh walked backward in front of me. "Nothing? You've been staring at that phone and smiling for hours. If I didn't know any better, I would think you're cheating on me."

I lowered the phone. Leslie invited me to their chat group. She said it would help ease me in. I haven't sent a message, but I enjoy reading their messages.

They're a funny bunch.

"I'm just texting my friends." Kind of.

Josh raised a brow, "You better look happier when you texted your boyfriend."

"Jealousy is an ugly trait." I pretend to throw up.

Josh scoffed before he leaned in closer, "Leslie? That girl from track and field, right?"

I nodded, "She invited me into her group chat."

Josh tilted his head, "Dawn-"

"Olivia and Alina," I filled him in, "They're also from track."

"Scholarship students."

"Hm?"

"They're all scholarship students."

"Does it matter?" I question. "I never understood the division between regular and scholarship students."

Josh shook his head, "No. They're nice."

"You know them?"

"I know of them," he responded. "They're pretty good runners. I think two of them are training for the Olympics."

"What?"

"Yeah." He ran his fingers across his chin, "Who is it again? I don't remember. But, they're a good bunch."

I smile, "I think so too."

Josh returned my smile, "Come on. Let's go. Our parents are going to get worried if they don't see us in the front."

Today is the day our parents visit the school.

"Don't worry. Let me handle our relationship status, okay?" Josh told me for the umpth time today.

He seems to be more stressed out than me.

When we got to the front of the school, everyone was either greeting their parents or waiting for their parents.

"What do you mean daddy can't make it?!" A girl shouted. She rested a hand on her elbow as her foot tapped viciously, "You can tell him to shove that gift up his mistress's ass! I mean, that's where he'll be all week, right?!" She ends the call and then bursts into tears. The girls around her provide her words of comfort.

"What?" A guy passed by me, "Mom and dad can't make it? Oh." His voice sounds dulled, "What a surprise." He rolled his eyes. He ends the call.

"Your parents are not coming again this year?" A girl asked him.

"Yeah. You?"

"Mom is too busy drinking margaritas in Singapore."

"Your dad?"

"God knows where my dad is."

They walked away.

"Everyone seems a bit...down?" I said.