LI. Ski Trip Part II

Hailey's POV:

"Spaghetti?"

"Yeah."

"No."

I tilt my upper body forward to look at her in the eyes, "Really?"

"Yeah. Why would you think something is going on between us?"

I scratch my head, "I don't know."

She pats my back, "HayHay. I'm going to say it now. One of your worst habits is overthinking things. Think simpler."

Once we stepped into the lobby, I took some more photos for my family to see. Alvin will definitely be jealous. On the other side of the room, I saw Josh with a few of his friends. I raise my hand only to have it fall back on its side.

Beside him stood Jasmine. They were close. He looked at her and smiled. Then he said something. She bursts out laughing while smacking his arm.

"I'm so jealous of that bitch," a girl whispered.

"Well, she is the captain of the girl's soccer team. You know, captains are always alone together."

"But isn't he with some other girl?"

"Who?"

"Kailyn or something?"

"Well, if I were Kailyn, I would keep my eyes on Jasmine."

"Hailey," Crystal pulls my arm. "Let's go."

We shuffle towards Josh until he spots us. He said some words to everyone around him before making his way towards us. Josh stops in front of me and rests his hands on his waist. He tilts his head and smiles, "You look like a penguin."

I narrow my eyes and punch his arm, "Shut up."

Smoothly, Josh rests his arm around my shoulders. "Cute penguin."

"Enough flirting. HayHay and I are going skiing."

I look at Josh, "Coming?"

"Nah. I'm going to go snowboarding with the guys." He messes up my hair, "Have fun."

I smiled and went to the equipment section with Crystal. My smile drops when Josh goes back to Jasmine and everyone else. Jasmine hands him a snowboard before grabbing another one. They're snowboarding together.

The cold wind brushes against my cheeks. I pull the scarf up, and when it's my turn, I slide down. Swerve left. Go right. There's a tree. Another tree. Stop. I made a little pile of snow.

I exhaled softly and made my way towards the bench. Even skiing didn't help distract me from the annoying sensation. I look towards the mountain on my right. The place where Josh and Jasmine are standing right now. The dangerous mountain.

On top of the world.

Together.

"Oh, Joshie, it's so romantic up here. Let's kiss."

"Sure. We are both captains of the same sport. So why not?"

"What about Hailey?"

"Who cares. She's just a friend."

"Let's get married and have lots of babies like your mom!"

"Deal!"

I got to stop making up scenarios inside my head.

I took off the ski and dug it deep into the snow. I'm in no mood to ski. Instead, I head towards the table beside the outside fireplace. I huffed a deep breath and looked to my right.