LXVI. Someone Died

Hailey's POV:

It was stupid of me.

Then again, when had I ever made a good decision?

I stood there and stared at Josh, embracing a beautiful female. I don't know if she is good-looking, but she has a lovely curvy body. Just looking at her side view made me insecure.

"Josh?" I took several steps closer to ensure it's really him and not my lousy eyesight playing tricks on me. It's him.

He turned his head to the side, and his eyes parted slightly. "Why are you here?" I didn't expect a grand party when I came here, but I didn't expect such a moody atmosphere either.

The girl turns her head, and my eyes widen at her appearance. There were bruises and bandages all over her face. Immediately, she turns it and steps behind Josh.

I chuckle slightly despite the heavy pressure inside my chest. It hurts. "Did I interrupt something?" I question in a joking manner. This time, I didn't run away. I learned my lesson and waited for Josh to respond.

Nothing.

Instead, he stood there like a lover being caught in an affair.

"Hailey?" Mrs.Greyson's voice drifts in the air. I turn towards the mansion to see both Jada helping Mrs.Greyson down the steps. "Hailey!" She squeals. "What are you doing here, sweetheart?" She embraces me tightly.

I accepted her embracement. "I-I-" What can I say? I used the money my parents sent me to purchase a flight to New York and then the rest for a cab to apologize to my best friend. The money that's supposed to be for a ticket back to California for the holidays. I'm so dead. "I miss you."

Mrs.Greyson's head sways towards Josh's direction before it went back towards me. "Oh, you miss me?" Somehow, there was a slight sound of tease in her voice.

I nodded, "Yes."

Mrs.Greyson laughed, "Come on in. There are brownies inside."

Joel took my bags.

"Put the bags in the room across from Josh," Mrs.Greyson said. "Sorry, but Juliette is staying in your usual room."

Who is Juliette, and why is she staying in my usual room? Well, it's not my usual room since I only stayed there once.

Mrs.Greyson smiles softly in Josh's direction.

She must be Juliette.

Aw shucks, she has a nice name.

"Juliette, come and meet Hailey."

Juliette walks towards Mrs.Greyson with her head hung low. She glances upward and smiles slightly. Even I can feel the pain on her face. "Hello, I'm Juliette."

I smile, "I'm Hailey."

"Sorry about occupying your room."

I shook my head. "It's not really my room."

After the awkward meeting, Mrs.Greyson took us all into the living room. I can't even make eye contact with Josh, and it seems like it's the same to him.

"How long are you going to stay here, Hailey?" Mrs.Greyson asks.

"Till Sunday. I have to go back to school." And somehow make enough money within the week to purchase a plane ticket back home.

"That's short! It's Saturday today," she responds.

I smile slightly, "Yeah." I cannot believe I made such a hasty decision. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid!