VI. Spell it Out

Hailey's POV:

I learned several things about the life of the rich through tv shows and living with them.

One, they do look down on you unless you're associated with someone well-known.

For example, scholarship students aren't treated the same as regular students. The treatment they received isn't bad - like getting shoved into the restroom. But, Austin did tell me that they would never look at him as an equal. I wouldn't know because I haven't been fully exposed to the situation. I came here as a regular student with people who support me.

Two, there are more dislikes between those of similar social class. The regular students and scholarship students don't clash heads as much as regular students do to each other - maybe it's a pride thing. Family league kind of pride. How my family is old money while yours is novel. Your family can lose their wealth at any second, so don't act too snobby—that kind of thing.

And the third thing I learned is that there are often more fights inside of families.

Josh's family is the same. His brothers get along because of his parents, but the same can't be said about his uncles, aunts, and the rest of his relatives. Not relatives from his mom's side but his dad's sides. They're not the warmest people.

Then, there's Crystal's family. Her dad cut off all relations with his side, except for his younger sister - Abby. But, no matter how much you try to cut off all contacts, they're still family. And of course, they didn't exactly enjoy the fact that a step-daughter and step-son, outsiders, are named heirs. Heirs meant they get to inherit everything if Mr.Martinez passed. It meant other families members wouldn't get anything.

I learned all about that merely by observing and listening to my surroundings.

I feel like I'm in a movie.

When someone congratulates Crystal on becoming the official heir and how much Mr.Martinez must love her. She scoffed in return and said: "Heir?"

But, from my perspective, what the random classmate said wasn't wrong. If a step-child was made an official heir, it means the step-father loves her alot. He's not afraid to tell the world that everything that's his, belongs to her.

Of course, I won't say it out loud. Crystal wouldn't like that. She had always had a shaky relationship with her step-father.

"Even Ty over there isn't an heir."

The tension only grew much more bitter.

Tyson is an adopted son.

He has a younger brother from his dad's previous marriage.

"Then again, I guess there is a difference between a step and an adopt."

"Hey," Ahmend said. His voice sounds strange when it's serious. "Why don't you take your pissed party elsewhere. Don't fucking come here and shit on everyone parade just because someone knocks off your crown."

The tension only grew worse.

"Why are you so concerned with everyone else? Save that concern for your own family."

Ahmend flinched.

"Mad," Josh intervened. "Enough. I understand you're upset about what happened, but you're going too far."

"Not as far as your dad. It must feel nice to have a sis-"

Josh banged a fist against the table, and the noises in the cafeteria died. "Let's talk. Outside."

"Really? Who's going to make me?"

"Mason," Josh said. "Drag your sister outside before I drag her personally."