XXVI. Plus One

Hailey's POV:

Josh grins and places two fingers on his chest. "Cross my heart-"

"-hope to die," I sang.

He rolled down the window, "To my lover, I'd never lie."

My hair flick against my face as the crisp autumn air traces against my skin: "He said be true, I swear I'll try. In the end, it's him and I. He's out his head; I'm out my mind," I swirl a finger near my temple, causing Josh to burst out laughing.

"We got that love, the crazy kind!" we both scream to the radio with our tone-deaf voices. We know the people outside the vehicle probably think we are mentally ill.

Right now, Josh and I are heading towards a restaurant. Josh said he doesn't want to eat cafeteria food anymore. The cafeteria with top-notch sushi and lobsters. I can never understand the mentality of the extremely wealthy.

Throwing my head back, it bounces against the headrest as my hair flutters across my cheeks. I died of laughter when Josh started rapping.

I shove him playfully, "You're nuts."

His grinning face only widens, "Only about you." He did what I assumed as his flirtatious wink.

"Is there something wrong with your eye?" I said teasingly.

His face fell flat, fingers twiddling against the volume knob. "This is the part where you turn red due to my good looks," he explains, slowly placing a hand on my cheeks and rubbing them until a fire starts. "Turn red, damn it! Red!"

I squat his hand away, "My face is not a chimney!"

"Then, why-" he paused and turned up the volume again, "It's getting hot in here!" He stopped at a red light and raised his hands, but hissed in pain when it slammed against the car rooftop. Josh held onto his aching hand. "Fuck," he groans, pressing his forehead against the wheel.

I held my hands over my mouth, unable to hold back the giggles. "You're such a dork."

Josh glared at me before driving us down the street towards the restaurant. Once we got out of the car, I noticed how some guys were looking at us. Well, not us - Josh.

"What?" he asked.

"They're looking at you."

He turned his head.

I hit him, "Don't look back. That's rude."

He turned his whole body around. Immediately, they look away with red faces.

I snickered, "What if they like you?"

Josh smirked, "Of course, they would. I'm totally boyfriend material to any gender."

I aspire to have Josh's level of confidence one day. "So confident for someone who had never been in a relationship."

"I've been in many relationships," he responds.

I nudge a brow, "With who?"

He grinned, "I'm in a relationship with my parents, siblings, uncles, aunts, friends-" he glanced at me, "you."

"Those don't count."

"Relationship is how two or more concepts, objects, or people are connected, or the state of being connected," he explained, tilting his head ever so slightly, causing his dark hair to ruffle over his ocean blues. "Hence, Hailey Vaughn, you are in a relationship with Joshua Greyson."

I shove him lightly, "You are such a smartass. You know that?"

"Oh, so you've been checking out my ass?"