LXII. Short Stack

Joshua's POV:

Dad exhales and pats my shoulder, "Thanks." He inches in closer for a hug. Dad isn't the type to give out embracement, but when situations get rough - particularly when it comes to mom - he knows he needs one.

If I said that things in the morning would get better, I would be lying. Everyone was in their own world, not bothering anyone else. Not a single breath was expelled in the air. Everyone was so focused on their food as if their life was on the line. In a sense, it is.

Dad was on one side of the dinner table.

Mom was on the other, far away from him.

They usually sit beside each other.

He would glance at her once in a while.

She ignores him while feeding Miles.

Even Jada doesn't feel comfortable enough to sit down and eat with everyone.

Lola was the first to arrive, probably due to Jada and the first to finish. She hasn't spoken a single word, which is rare. She is the loudest child in the room. "May I be excused?" This situation is much more severe than I expect. Lola actually requests to leave the table.

Mom wipes off the food from Miles's face. "Lola. You know you never have to ask me for permission to do anything." Mom smiles, but with her ghostly like features, it made everyone shiver.

Lola swallows, "Thank you." She smiles lightly and escapes the room.

"If Lola is done. I am too. I do not want her to go to school by herself. I will accompany her. Is that acceptable, mommy?" Caleb smiles at mom. He grabs his plate and leaves the room. He never cleans his plate.

"I shall follow my brother." Theodore grabs his plate and leaves. He stops and looks at mom. "And I will wash my hands for more than twenty seconds." He never washes his hands.

"Me too," Mike whispers. He pushes out his chair with the least amount of sound. He kisses mom's cheek. "I love you, mom. A lot." He left the room.

"I wuv you too." Calvin bats his lashes and grabs his plate. Which five years old talks like that? One who doesn't want to get in trouble.

Miles smiles, "I love you the most!" He smacks mom's face with his wet lips. One of the boys probably told him to do that.

Mom smiles lightly, and the tension in the room eases up.

It was only momentary.

I never met her.

My dear potential half-sister - until now.

The door spread open, and the tension resumed - probably worse now. A young girl steps inside the room seems to be around her twenties, early or mid, I can't tell. She tucks her brown hair back to reveal a shade of blues. She smiles, and a single dimple made its appearance. "Good morning."

Silence.

I look at dad.

He stares at his plate.

I look at Jada.

She stares at the wall.

I look at Miles.

He was so focused on his broccoli. Even he feels the tension.

I look at mom.

She looks at the young girl and smiles, "Good morning, Juliette."

Juliette crunches her hands together. "Is it okay if I have breakfast with you all?"