XXII. Insignificant

Hailey's POV:

Crystal slams her cheek against mine. "Oh, I miss you," she groans. Her body rubs on mine, and the discomfort only increases.

"People are watching," I whisper.

She crossed her arms, "Where were you the whole day? Why are you replying so slow to my text?"

My brows furrow together, "I was in class?"

"So?" She glances around the table. "You replaced me?" she pouts.

Serena jumps up, "You two know each other?"

I glance over to see Ahmend and Josh, along with a few others behind Crystal. My eyes met with Josh, and instantly he looked away. My lips thinned once I located two girls standing on each side of him—what a lucky fellow.

"Yes," Crystal replied slowly.

Serena places out a hand. "Hi! I'm Serena Garrison," she introduces herself while Crystal examines her.

Crystal chuckles, seemingly bored. "Did I ask?"

I stood up and grabbed Crystal's arm while Serena's face seemed to fall flat, her hand still standing in the air. "Crystal."

She shrugs, "What? I didn't ask for her name. You know I'm not the smartest person, I can only hold so much memory, and I'm not wasting my memory space for someone insignificant," she didn't bother to whisper. Crystal had always been quite blunt with her actions. If she doesn't like you, she will say it out loud. If you step on a nerve, she will snap like a twig.

"Insignificant?" Serena said with a smile, but her face color a deep shade of red.

Crystal turns around, silver earrings slapping slightly against her cheeks. "Yes, insignificant as in - talking to you right now is wasting my time," she smiles dazzlingly while the cafeteria falls silent. "Stay away from my baby," she drafts an arm around my shoulder.

Serena scoff, "She wants to hang out with us."

Paisley tugged against Serena's shirt. "Serena," she hisses slowly. "She is Crystal Martinez."

"So?" Serena snaps at Paisley, who took a step back. "So what if she is a Martinez." She tilts her head back at Crystal, "She is only his step-daughter. I heard her mom is pregnant with the true heir of the Martinez's corporations anyways. When he is born, she is going to become irrelevant." She smirks, "What are you going to do? Call daddy on me?" she mocks.

Crystal ran her tongue across her cheek, and she steps forward, disregarding the fact that I'm pulling her back. Crystal had always enjoyed fights - Josh said she got it from her mom, who happened to be his karate instructor. She rolls up her sleeves. "Trust me when I don't need daddy to mess up that plastic face of yours!"

"Josh!" I scream for his help before Crystal jumps towards Serena.

Josh steps in front of Crystal. "Enough," he said in a firm voice while Crystal grounds her molars, her knuckles ready to punch Serena. He turns around, facing Serena, Paisley, and Riley. "You got something against my cousin?"

Riley grabs Serena's shirt. "We should leave," she said in an urgent tone.

Serena clenches her fists. "Don't think I'm afraid of you like everyone else because you're a Greyson. Your cousin started it."

"She got a hot temper, so I suggest you back off," he said in a seemingly cold tone while I wrap my arms around Crystal just in case she decides to claw the girl's eyes out.

"You all think you're so good," Serena growled. "All because you're born in a better family than ours," she snaps her eyes towards Crystal, "or your whorish mother spread her legs to the right person."