XII. Hump, Pump, and Dump

Hailey's POV:

When the class was empty, and the door closed, I blurted out: "I didn't cheat! I swear I didn't!"

I know I said it many times - not said, but thought - but I hate this part about myself. Being a scared person. I wish I were a lot braver like Josh or Crystal.

It didn't make sense no matter how long I wrapped my brain around it. Josh, Crystal, and I grew up together. How did they become so brave while I became such a...coward.

Mr.Timberland's brows crunched, "I didn't say anything about cheating."

"Oh."

He folded his arms, "Hailey. How do you feel about Pandora Academy so far?"

"It's nice," I responded. "Very big."

"Academically."

I chew on my cheek, "A bit hard." I'm not sure if high school should be this hard or not since it's my first year.

"If you're wondering whether a high school should be this difficult. It isn't."

"Oh."

"The truth is at any other high school. You would be considered a model student."

I look up from my shoes, "I would?"

He nods, "Unfortunately, I can't say the same about here." Mr.Timberland exhaled, "I asked for this private meeting because of your grades. They're not the best."

I agree with him.

"But, you will pass until graduation."

"I'm sorry. I'm lost."

"Have you looked at your last three papers returned from me?"

I nodded. I got all D.

"And after you revise it?"

"You gave me two Cs and a B-." I didn't feel proud saying that.

"Hailey." He folded his arms, "I know you're trying your best. But, have you...reconsider?"

"Reconsider?"

Mr.Timberland ran his hand across his face and down his chin. There's a silence in the air that's so unbearable; it makes me want to vomit. "Your attendance at Pandora Academy."

"Are you telling me to...drop out?" I know my grades aren't good, but is it so bad that my favorite teacher is telling me to drop out? Mr.Timberland's class is difficult, but I like him as a person. Simply put, you can tell he's the type of person who cares.

Mr.Timberland exhaled sharply before he leaned against the table. "Do you know there is a shortcut in the back of the school where the old buildings are? A narrow hallway the students rarely take. Nice place."

My body began to sweat.

"Flowers in the Spring. Nice green vines."

I swallowed firmly.

"Clean bathroom."

My hands grip firmly onto the strap of my backpack.

"Quiet."

Mr.Timberland knows.

"So quiet, you can hear whatever it is that's happening from the bathroom."

I grab my wrist and hold it firmly, "It's not what you think. I wasn't feeling well that day...that's all." Lies.

"Hailey. I won't tell anyone," he said. "But, if something is bothering you or if you're stressed about something."

"It's not! It's definitely not!"