XIX. Best Friends

Hailey's POV:

"You're telling me you know Joshua Greyson?" Her tone was a mocking one as an uncomfortable laugh exited her lips, "And the two of you are best friends?"

I nodded and digged my toes into the dirt since they threw my new shoes down the river earlier. "Josh is my best friend."

A girl whispered into her ear, and she nodded. "Ah, you two were friends."

"Not were! We are friends! He isn't going to like it if you're mean to me!"

She squatted down and smiled - an unbearably sweet action. "Where is he?"

I suck in my lower lips. "In...New York."

"Have you ever thought that maybe he is nice to you because your dad knows his parents, and he is forced to be nice to you?"

I shook my head. "Josh says he likes me! I'm his girl!"

She sighed and lifted a circular mirror. "Look at yourself."

My gaze went towards the mirror, which showed an unpleasant reflection. The girl staring back at me had red acne scatter all over her dirt cover face. Dead blonde locks were in disarray, covering up the chunky cheeks from years of build-ups. I bit my trembled lips, tasting the blood from the cut where she slapped me earlier.

She closed the mirror. "Get out of your delusional state. No one can love a fat pig." She stood up and turned around. "Go on, everyone, have your fair share of fun with the future, Mrs.Greyson," she said mockingly.

I inch back towards the wall even when I know I can't move any further away as they walk closer to me.

Another girl smiled. "I always hate you," she said before she slapped me.

I told my parents about it once, but I became a bigger target for being a snitch.

I dropped down to the ground and curled up into a fetal position as they kicked and hit me.

It never stopped.

The pain never stops.

***

Josh cracks his neck and stomps out the door. It slammed shut—my body jolted when I heard screaming from the hallway. The nurse pokes her head out of the other room then shakes it before rolling her chair back into her office.

After a few minutes or half an hour, Josh re-enters the room. His face was calmer as he stepped towards me, settling himself on the edge of the bed. "Hailey," he said in an overly soothing tone scaring me slightly.

I held onto the blanket. "Y-Yes?"

"Are you feeling better?"

I nod. "Y-Yes."

"I'm going to go to my first class, but you should relax a little bit more, maybe take a nap. I'll come by to wake you up later...okay?"

I nod. "Okay."

He smiles, running his fingers down my hair and curls it behind my head before he walks out.

"Josh?"

He turns around. "Yeah?"

"Are you...feeling better?"

He smiles a steady force smile. "I will...soon."

Sometimes, Josh can be a bit scary.

After he left, I curled under the blanket and stared at the ceiling. I groaned when I heard my phone buzzing, wondering why I can't have a peaceful day. Reaching for my phone, I saw an unknown number and held it against my ear. "He-"