LXXV. Wicked Witch

Joshua's POV:

Her body shakes, and she expelled a sharp breath, but she didn't look at me. "I started it." It hurts. My heart aches whenever I see her cry.

Jasmine laughs, "Seriously? You're crying?"

I shot her the nastiest glare I could muster to shut her up.

Jasmine swallowed, "Just so you know, I was here first, and she came here to flaunt her new relationship."

I wanted to laugh. I really do. "And what's wrong with that?" I ask.

Jasmine stood there, still as a rock. What did she expect? For me to take her side? To comfort her? I can never understand it. Those who believe that as long as they chase someone hard enough, they would one day get them despite the constant rejection. How ignorant. How inconsiderate. How selfish. All they can think about is themselves and how they feel, never once considering the others' emotions.

***

"Don't be a fool, Joshua. Don't ever become a fool when it comes to love."

"Because love is blind?" I laugh, "I heard all about it, Aunt Piper."

She laughs, "Yes. But, what I meant is, if you truly love Hailey."

My eyes widen, and the pace of my heart picks up. "I don't love Hailey! She's mean! She eats my food, and she keeps sitting on me!"

She pinches my cheek, "Lying to your aunt? Who do you think I am?" Her smiles re-emerge, "What I'm saying is, if Hailey doesn't reciprocate your emotions. Don't ever neglect how she feels. Don't be selfish and mindlessly chase after her simply because you believe she will return your feelings one day. It will only waste both of your time."

"I don't like Hailey!" I denied it. "But, what if she likes me and I don't like her? I mean, I'm handsome!" Everyone keeps telling me that, so it must be true.

"Then, you must do whatever you can to reject her. Don't give her hope because hope is the most dangerous thing in love. More lethal than rejection." I didn't understand a single word from her mouth.

"Piper!"

We look forward to seeing Uncle Emerson and Crystal. Crystal looks up from the ice cream cone and smiles widely. Uncle Emerson wipes Crystal ice cream cover face and exhales softly. "Daddy! I want a ride!" Crystal yells, and without his approval, she climbs on top of his neck.

"But-" My eyes cast back towards Aunt Piper. She smiles softly, and when the sun hits her, she looks like she's about to cry, "don't worry about any of this. When the time comes, it will come. Without a plan. Without meaning. Without a single warning. It'll arrive."

"What will arrive?"

"Happiness."

***

"She's in a relationship. What's wrong with flaunting it?"

Jasmine clenches her fists. "How could you? You know how I feel about you."

"And I clearly stated how I feel about you." I didn't care about how Jasmine feels. I'm already kind enough to her. I gave her more than enough warning to step back. I scooped Hailey into my arms and stood up. The tears roll down Jasmine's eyes and pinch off at her trembling cheek. When I passed Madison, I looked at her. "Take care of your little minion. Cause trouble anymore, and don't expect me to be still nice."

Madison folded her arms, "Is that a threat I'm hearing?"

"You believe I'm still nice enough to merely threaten?"