LXVII. Great Plan

Hailey's POV:

I stifled a laugh, "Sure. That sounds like a great plan. I can't find anything wrong with it."

"You're getting way too comfortable around me," he said.

"Is that a bad thing?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"I'm not a good person."

"I'm not a good person, either."

"And why would you say that?"

"B-Because I blew my nose on your t-shirt since I ran out of tissues." It wasn't a lie. I ran out of tissues last night. And Ricardo's shirt happened to be there, on his bed. He didn't come back last night. Sometimes, I wonder where he goes at night. When I'm not drowning in sorrow, I stalk him. This is the time to test the detective skill mom taught me when I was younger.

"You- what?"

I took a few blinks, "But, the answer is no. I don't see anything good coming out from having a fake boyfriend. Plus, Josh kind of hates you."

"Exactly," he responds—his phone buzzes inside his pocket. "Look, I got to get packing soon. Think about it over the holidays." He got up and went towards his cabinet to get ready to go back to Italy.

"Why would you help me?"

"Well, one, I'm sick of you crying all night and apparently, blowing your nose on my shirts. Two, I get to see Josh's piss-off face. You know, since his friend is dating his enemy."

That makes sense. Josh would be upset if I dated Ricardo. I wonder if he would be upset enough to realize his potential feelings for me. But, what if he wishes me happiness? I don't want him to be happy for me.

Ricardo flicks my forehead. "Think about it, bionda."

Soon, the holidays arrived, and I went home. It may be cold in the East, but it wasn't that bad in the West. I didn't need to wear three to four jackets.

I exhale softly.

"What's wrong?" Mom asks.

"Nothing."

Mom put down her glasses and closed her laptop. She sat across from me. "That doesn't sound like a nothing sigh."

I place down the fork and stop playing with my peas. Why do I even try? I can't hide anything from a professional. "Mom. You know when I used the money and purchased the ticket to go to New York."

"Yes, we made a contract that you would pay it back." We look at the paper on the fridge with my signature on it. Mom documents everything.

"I saw Josh with this girl."

"Oh?"

"And they were hugging." I bit my lower lip. "A boy and a girl hugging don't mean anything, right?"

Mom giggles, "Oh, Hailey." She tucks my blonde hair back. "You're overthinking into this. Two opposite sex embracing doesn't necessarily mean they developed emotions for each other."

"But, they were hugging really close," I emphasize.

"Okay. How about this? Crystal hugs you really tightly every time she sees you. Do you think that means Crystal had developed romantic feelings for you?"

The image of Madison pops inside my head. Weird. Why do I feel like I forget something? "I guess you make a good point." I exhale, "Maybe I am overthinking this situation."

Mom stroked my cheek lightly. "That's my fault. You inherited the overthinking from me."

"Does that mean I have the potential to be a detective in the future?"