LXIX. Boyfriend

Hailey's POV:

I shook my head. I refuse to allow him to see me in this state.

"Hailey."

I step back and continue to shake my head.

Josh placed a hand on my bruised cheek, and I flinched slightly. Instead of forcing me to look at him, he whispered: "Hay Bug. Please."

I hate it. How he would use this soft tone whenever he calls my nickname. Steadily, I lifted my head until my eyes caught his.

The frown on his face was apparent. "Who did this?"

I remove his hand. It hurts where he touches. "I started the fight."

"I didn't ask whether or not you started the fight." I swallow when he lurks closer. "I asked who did this to you."

"Doesn't matter."

"It matters to me."

I look at him, "Why do you care?" I shouldn't snap at him. Josh didn't do anything wrong. He only asks because he cares.

"Hailey. I know you're upset about the photos." Of course, he saw the pictures. I'm betting my money that hoards of girls can't wait to show him. "But, you need to calm down and understand that I ask because I care."

"Why would you care? Because we're friends?" I regretted each word that came out of my mouth. But I can't seem to stop. "Where's this friend of mine weeks ago when he left without a single word. Not one damn phone call. Not one single message."

"Haile-"

"Why did you go home? Who is Juliette?" I couldn't handle it anymore. I need to know.

Josh sighed softly, "I told you. I went home because of a family emergency."

"What kind of emergency?"

"I-" he exhaled, "I can't tell you until we sort it out."

I lick my dried lips and nod. "Right. Because I'm not family." I step back again. "I'm only your best friend. And best friend, don't keep secrets from each other, right?" Hypocrite.

I can see it. The pain was written all over his face. "I want to tell you."

"But you can't." I look down towards the ground momentarily before facing him. "And that's fine. I asked for independence, and you gave it to me. I was the one who-"

"Hailey."

"Bothered you. It was all my fault. I shouldn't-"

"Hailey."

"Had tried to fly over there. It's obvious that you wanted that space, so I was the one who-"

Josh grabbed my shoulders and shook. "Hailey!" He screams. "Stop this." His hands grasp my face. "Stop doing this." He pulled me into his arms. "Please, stop self-blaming."

I dug my face into his chest. It felt warm. I miss this. "But it is my fault," I muffled. I'm overreacting about everything, and I know it.

"It's not. I should've called you, but I lost my phone. I asked Jada to get me a new one, and it took a while to transfer all the lost content. Then, if it's not one problem, its another. I don't want to keep this from you. I really don't." Josh said it all so quickly, I thought he would faint from the lack of oxygen. He loosens his grip and looks at me. "But, I need you to understand that there is an issue in my family, and I can't tell you until it's fully resolved. Please, understand."

"Is the problem with Juliette?"

He nods.

"And it's a complicated matter?"