VII. Others' Approval

Hailey's POV:

"What are you two doing?" Joel asks.

Josh releases my lock arms, then rest an arm on my shoulders. "Just playing around," Josh responds.

Sometimes, Josh and I played around a bit too much, forgetting that there are others around us.

Joel nods, deciding not to question our odd manners any further "Shall we go?" he asks, walking towards the car and opening the back door.

Josh takes my hand and walks us towards the car. I was about to jump inside the vehicle until Josh stops me. "Brains before beauty," he said with a teasing grin and jump in before me.

I roll my eyes because we both know Josh is the smart one and well...let's say I'm not the brightest lightbulb in the room....not the brightest even in the darkest room.

Once inside the car, I notice Josh's hand is still on mine. I smile, feeling everything was back to normal, and Josh was acting weird like earlier. He tugs my arm. "Why are you sitting so far?"

I laugh and slide over placing my legs on his lap as I rest my head on his shoulder. My eyes motion towards the tinted glass, watching the tall buildings of New York.

My brows furrowed as the screen dividing us from the front seat slide upward. Josh's hand tighten on my mine as we come to a slow stop, probably a red light or the horrendous city traffic.

"What happened?" his voice is no longer playful.

I bit on my lower lip as my hands' grip on the shirt. "I thought I give my hair a trim," I respond, scratching my head knowing that's the worst excuse in the world.

Josh places his forearm underneath my chin and lifts it, meeting his. "Hailey...What happened?" his voice is much sterner, deeper.

I began twiddling with the tip of my fingers. "I...I wanted to become...prettier."

He releases my chin and with gravity, my face fell onto our lap and soon a deep sigh follows. Josh hung his elbow onto the glass window, with his forehead press against his palm. "Hailey...You're pretty already," he sounds slightly irritated.

I remove my legs. "No...I'm pretty now...I-" my words got caught inside my throat, mouth half hung open. "I was a fat pig back then," tears began brimming inside my eyes.

"You're not a -" he closes his eyes momentarily to catch his thoughts. "You're not."

"Yes, I am Josh! I was 13 years old and 180 pounds with acne all over my face! I was ugly!"

"Who says that?!"

"Everyone!"

"And they matter?"

"Yes!"

"What about me? Doesn't my words matter?!"

My eyes widen stun by his sudden outburst. Every time he opens his mouth the anger strikes harder. "You keep mentioning all these other people, but doesn't what I think matter? For fuck sake Hailey, do you know how dangerous it is to lose so much weight in such a short time?"